steering column shift lever removal

-
Converting to floor shift? What's that column out of?

It's part of the shift tube so you'll need to cut the lever off or cut off the bottom of the tube. For mine, the tube needs to remain in the column even though it won't be used like it was before. Not required, but I'd disassemble the column to do it.

snapringimg_01.jpg

I cut the sucker off...and used the bearing in the picture above.. Only picture I have.

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 645
You have to pull the wheel then remove the turn signal lever then remove the turn signal switch to get to the snap ring on the steering shaft remove it then pull the shaft out of the column from the coupler end. Now you have to remove the shifter from the column collar
this done by driving the roll pin out once removed you will see a Allen set screw holding the tube in loosen the set screw and the tube will pull out in the same direction as the shaft. And lastly what year is this column?

that looks like a truck column from what I see in the pics. What is the column out of?

It's spot welded on. Mine is converted to floor shift. I drilled out the spot welds came straight off I did also cut it length ways as I didn't remove column from car. Was just touching the headers and always caused the selector to move out of park. Got me a couple a time trying to work out why the keys wouldn't come out of the ignition lol.

The pic is not the column in my 72 Dart. It's just an example pic. Reason for this, is the rear header tube is so close to the steering column, that it melts the plastic lower bearing. And a $80-$90, I rather spend $7-$8 on the bearing pictured above

just use the instructions above to disassemble the column then once the tube is out cut the outer housing off about 2" from the firewall and cut the same amount off the inner tube minus what the bearing takes up.

I had the whole column out of the car....I was converting to a floor shifter .. and dissembled where I had the shaft removed also..

You have to pull the wheel then remove the turn signal lever then remove the turn signal switch to get to the snap ring on the steering shaft remove it then pull the shaft out of the column from the coupler end. Now you have to remove the shifter from the column collar
this done by driving the roll pin out once removed you will see a Allen set screw holding the tube in loosen the set screw and the tube will pull out in the same direction as the shaft. And lastly what year is this column?

Ok, I have the column out of my 72 Dart. And have removed the snap ring. I don't see how I can pull the shaft out from the coupler end, seeing how it's about a foot up in the shift tube. Suggestions?
Thanks

Take a picture of what you're having problems with. A picture is worth 1000 words. What you're trying to do is really straight forward.

Is it a lock plate you are missing? The kind that takes the lock plate removal press to
remove and install the ring into groove on shaft. They were tricky and could be over looked.
That would prevent the steering shaft from pulling out the lower end of column.
Not sure what year they began the use of this theft prevention part.
I had to buy the special tool but it was inexpensive. Had two different sized tube sleeves
and can be used on Mopar and GM columns.

Well, I figured it out. Took a good look at the shifter tube. Found two spot welds. (See picture) Drilled them out and WD-40d the tube. Started tapping the lower shift lever and low and behold, it slid off. Cleaned up the inside of the outer tube with a wire wheel and the above bearing went right in. Had to tap the tube, for a set screw, to hold the bearing in-place. Cleaned up the bulkhead bracket and the bottom end of the outer tube, primed and painted them. Just waiting for everything to dry. Then re-install the steering column.
Thanks, everyone, for all your help.

Attachments

• strg8.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 449
-
Back