Steering column slot acting like a heater

-

64DartGTinAZ

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just switched from manual to power steering (and ensuing column switcheroo)

Now, when the engine gets hot, it feels like a supplemental heater is blowing in my lap...the slot on the underside of the steering column is venting engine compartment heated air into the cabin.

Is there something missing (some gasket/collar/plug/something?) that prevents this from happening?

Thanks for any ideas!

Yes. There was a white plastic seal at the end of the steering column. You can find photos here. I have never seen one. I cut 2 acrylic disks and glued to the column housing, staggered. More sophisticated is a bearing epoxied in the end, and there is a post w/ PN's.

Thanks, Bill...any suggestions on the search string to find the photos here?

Much appreciated!

John

I stuffed some carpet pad in there to block the air works good, there is a rubber cap that goes on there, but i don't know if you can get them aftermarket.

Yes. There was a white plastic seal at the end of the steering column. You can find photos here. I have never seen one. I cut 2 acrylic disks and glued to the column housing, staggered. More sophisticated is a bearing epoxied in the end, and there is a post w/ PN's.

Yep. Mine turned into a blast furnace and it also lets in noise and engine smell. The lower column seal and the correct speedo cable grommet (Thanks Ulf) really helped all my problems. They aren't a cakewalk to install but well worth it. Give me a min. or two and I'll see if I can find where I bought mine. tmm

Here's one like I used but let me find another through my Mopar Parts guys.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-63-64-65-66-Steering-Column-SEAL-Plymouth-Dodge-MoPar-A-Body-B-Body/400720424794?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23491%26meid%3D724cd777dd34411a9e26d447913e93e1%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10073%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D140991904968"]1962 63 64 65 66 Steering Column Seal Plymouth Dodge Mopar A Body B Body | eBay[/ame]

The ebay part (photo below) is $55 w/ shipping. Mega Part is $40 + shipping. The ebay one looks like something a resourceful person might make themself with nylon O-rings and urethane fill. I have used black polyurethane roof caulk from Home Depot to fill motor mount cavities before to good effect. The column in my 64 Valiant is currently out, so a good time to try.

Attachments

• column seal.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 170
Thanks, everybody!!!

I finally found my shop manual and found this diagram, compared it to what I saw under the hood, and realized that the jacket seal was loose - slid it up and pushed until it 'clicked' (not that a rubber part clicks, but you can feel it seat over the lip) and hoping it's good to go - I'll check it out Saturday.

I may buy a spare now, just as a 'just in case' for down the road, so thanks for the links!

Attachments

• Jacket seal diagram.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Jacket seal.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 155
For what its worth - I installed a Delrin bushing that was made by a guy I found on the 62-65 c body mopar site. Its been a long time since I did that, not sure if it exists anymore as an available part. The bushing actually fits snug into the column bore and the shaft rides on the id, a snug fit as well. Bushing is held in by drilling a small hole through the column housing and into the bushing, a small screw is then installed. Pretty slick part that actually does a very good job to support the shaft...I tried a repop rubber seal and found it to be pretty flimsy, probably not a good repo at the time, (maybe they are better now ?). The repop I had was certainly not as good as the original in terms of density and strength, the repop would fall off if you looked at it wrong.

I ground down and drilled out a Urethane skateboard wheel and used it as a seal, a little press fit. Killed an hour doing it on a lazy sunday afternoon. PIA was the pin in the shaft. I pulled the entire shaft out and ran it up through the new bushing. No getting that pin out neatly. My column was cut to fit B manifolds at one time so its up there.

-
Back