Steering column teardown

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I am tearing my manual column down to clean and paint, but I can't figure out how this piece comes off. Any suggestions?

I have removed the shaft and outer tube already. That piece circled in red seems to be what is hanging up.

Also, I got the rebuild kit for the coupler, but now am wondering if the universal joint is a better option. Thought on that?

20171029_145726.jpg

I am tearing my manual column down to clean and paint, but I can't figure out how this piece comes off. Any suggestions?

I have removed the shaft and outer tube already. That piece circled in red seems to be what is hanging up.

Also, I got the rebuild kit for the coupler, but now am wondering if the universal joint is a better option. Thought on that?

View attachment 1715105567
That upper piece has the top bearing and is held on by a snap ring. Remove the snap ring then top piece.

I've had all the different columns apart so I can't keep them sorted between my ears. LOL
I've got 2 different assemblies in my memory..., There are 2 phillips head screws with square nuts hidden inside that catch notches stamped in the column tube,
or a set screw through a hole in the side of that bell.

the collar that's circled in red has a set screw that holds it to the shift tube.should be a hole in the side for access.looks like a 70 column?

-
Back