Steering column

-

Joe334

Reaction score
I am going to be putting a floor shifter in my 75 duster after i put in the new motor/tranny, and the steering column i have has the shifter on the tree. I found a '69 dart at a salvage yard that i have been picking parts off of and it came with a floor shifter, so i was wondering if the steering column on that would fit into my duster? Would it hook up to my steering gear box? And if it doesnt fit, what would be my best move as to getting a steering column without the shifter on the tree?
Thanks,
Joe

Um, physically, if they are both P/S or Manual steering columns, yep, they should swap. But, if you put a '69 column in a '75 car, where are you going to put your key to start it?

Revhendo

Revhendo said:
Um, physically, if they are both P/S or Manual steering columns, yep, they should swap. But, if you put a '69 column in a '75 car, where are you going to put your key to start it?

Revhendo

I would probably have to put the key in the ignition lol. I would think the guy still has the keys to it. If not i can take the switch out and get a key made for it.

Joe334 said:
I would probably have to put the key in the ignition lol. I would think the guy still has the keys to it. If not i can take the switch out and get a key made for it.

Does the 1969 column have the ignition switch in the column?

I don't think my 69 Dart did. ;)

I think my '70 Did.

Ya that could be a problem, but i will find out later when i go out there. But my column and one out of a dart should be about the same lenght, right?

Okay, you got me.
The '69 has the key in the dash
The '75 has the key in the column.

Revhendo

It'll work fine as long as you don't mind re-combobulating the ignition/starter stuff. Could even be an opportunity to create a nice little anti-theft device (hidden ignition switch).

I am not sure the wiring is a simple hook up at the connection between the two years, you may have some rewiring to do. I would keep my eyes open for a closer year, they show up on e-bay and such fairly often....i have seen guys just pop the shifter lever pin on the colum out and remove the shifter lever and of course disconnect all linkages and such...but thats not a great fix for your concern.

-RPM

If you decide to move your ignition switch, put it in a place that is within reach. If your throttle hangs open for some reason you will need to shut of the car easily. It may never happen and has only happened twice to me in 25+ years of racing and driving but if it does happen you want to be prepared.

Why not just install an aftermarket ignition switch in the dash and run the wires from the stock harness over to it?

-
Back