Steering coupler

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
1965 Barracuda manual steering. I have searched my service manual in several places for information covering the servicing / repair of the steering coupler. I have disassembled my steering column for restoration. I have installed new shoes and spring, new seal and retainer in the coupler. There seems to be no specific information on the removal and installation of these components, type grease, (lithium?) if it gets packed?

Did you try "steering coupler" in the search box. There is probaly 50 threads about them there.

There are specs in the FSM but what are you trying to find? The shoes go in so the convex side is out. Spring pushes them out....fill cup with grease and push it on in. Early may differ as it may be square, not as pictured. Same but spring is flatter on side.
coupler-jpg.jpg

If it's not a platinum resto, drill a hole in the bottom of the coupler, and add a grease zirc. Then it will grease from the bottom up, and push all the junk out.

It's also worth getting the wire bail on eBay to hold the lid on.

There are specs in the FSM but what are you trying to find? The shoes go in so the convex side is out. Spring pushes them out....fill cup with grease and push it on in. Early may differ as it may be square, not as pictured. Same but spring is flatter on side.
View attachment 1715631793
My coupler is similar to the one you pictured, but it does not use a dowel nor a roll pin. The original shoes and springs consisted of two shoes (square) and two springs, seal and retainer (cover). I bought the repair kit that contained the parts that are shown in your exploded view, however the shoes and the spring would not fit in the positions shown in the picture. The shoes are too wide to fit as pictured, but fit nicely if turned 90 degrees with the spring facing toward the steering wheel end. (I did not replace the cross pin, mine was not worn and the shoes fit without any play) The only thing that holds the assembly together is the cover with the bent over tabs. I have seen the "wire bail" and I will get one. My coupler is held in place on the steering box (once position is adjusted) with a 5/16 bolt. I packed the coupler with black lithium grease before installing the cover. I have another 65 Barracuda and its coupler utilizes the roll pin. Could that be, because it is a V8 car and the coupler I'm doing is in my "slant car?" You mentioned the "FSM," (F?) service manual? I have the the 65 Plymouth Body, Chassis & Electrical Manual on CD. I haven't had much luck finding a "specific" parts manual for the 65 Barracuda on CD. There are several used paper parts manuals for sale , but the prices are too high for a used book. Anyway I bought (down loaded) a 65 Chrysler manual, that is semi useful. It covers the Valiant, but not specific to the Barracuda. Thanks for the reply and input.

coupler.jpg

coupler1.jpg

That is correct. The Valiant was the Barracuda in all aspects except the front grill and rear window. There were running changes on how the thing was held on: bolt, roll pin, allen set screw....The thing is to get the shoes in for minimal/no play. Her eis a great write up including the 13/16 measurement from 'witness mark'
Rebuilding a 1964 Plymouth Steering Coupler

It's also worth getting the wire bail on eBay to hold the lid on.

i know the guy who started the initial wire retainer sale and neither the long one nor the shorter wire retainers will work on the 65-earlier. Cannot remember if they’ll work on the 66’s or not

i know the guy who started the initial wire retainer sale and neither the long one nor the shorter wire retainers will work on the 65-earlier. Cannot remember if they’ll work on the 66’s or not
I ordered a stainless steel one today. It was advertised for A,B and E bodies 66-72. The repair kit I installed was advertised the same way...In other words...I'll make it fit.:thumbsup: Anyway, regardless of the fit...The cover I installed is not going to come off or come loose anytime soon.

-
Back