Steering coupler

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have rebuilt your steering coupler, or reassembled your column / shaft, did you add the coupler retaining ring / clip if it didn't come with one originally..? My service manual doesn't show it, but I heard somewhere it was an added "correction".
Is it worth worrying about it if it doesn't get put on...safety issue..? Vs. Originality..

Screenshot_20230927_191145_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230927_191213_Chrome~2.jpg

Last edited:
None of my 3 cars has one. Amazing, and I and all of the others before me didn't die driving the cars. Honestly don't remember seeing them, and at one time I worked in the parts department at a Dodge dealership.

I made one for a friend when I swapped in a Borgeson steering box. The coupler they include in the Bergman kit is a little longer....

DB 99.JPG

DB 101.JPG

I took a length of welding rod....

DB 103.JPG

Started bending it with pliers and channel locks...

DB 104.JPG

DB 105.JPG

Boom....ZERO cost and it fits.

DB 108.JPG

DB 110.JPG

Last edited:
I bought one, what a pain in the dick to put on. If column is out it will be way easier! Mine still isn't on lol.
Cheap insurance...
For those of you that have rebuilt your steering coupler, or reassembled your column / shaft, did you add the coupler retaining ring / clip if it didn't come with one originally..? My service manual doesn't show it, but I heard somewhere it was an added "correction".
Is it worth worrying about it if it doesn't get put on...safety issue..? Vs. Originality..

View attachment 1716147129

View attachment 1716147130

I sure would if I had one.

I got a quick boot for mine, sealed it with a light coat of RTV and put a zip tie around it real tight. Looks neat and doesn't leak a drop.

don’t consider myself lazy but I did. Those tabs are a pain to get crimped on tight, and if it comes off while column is in the car it’s worse. Has held it tight for years.

I've always thought of those bail clips as a bandaid for a poor original seal/retainer design. Personally, I've never had a problem with a properly crimped retainer. I do like the molded boots though. Those look pretty slick.

I've always thought of those bail clips as a bandaid for a poor original seal/retainer design. Personally, I've never had a problem with a properly crimped retainer. I do like the molded boots though. Those look pretty slick.
I like um too. Some folks will probably think my zip ties look stupid, but nobody makes one specifically for the early A clamp on coupler and while it fits pretty good, it's not as tight as it could be. So I sealed it with some RTV and put a couple of zip ties around it to hold it on tight. It doesn't leak and that's all that matters to me. Steer and Gear sells them.

-
Back