steering coupler

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
You want the coupler that goes on the end of the steering shaft that slides over the splined end on the steering box? I have one for a power steering box. PM me.

The coupler is the same the same. The column length is whats different.

in the earlier models the couplers are the same for power or manual. Later models are different spline diameter . I dont now what year they changed.
For the hassle in rebuilding a used box coupling, I have to suggest an alternate from flaming river or firm feel. You would still need to ID the steering gear input shaft. Hope this helps

The coupler is the same the same. The column length is whats different.

The input shaft on a manual box is larger in diameter than the one on a power box. Had to swap couplers with pettybludart (great guy) when he went from power to manual and I went from manual to power steering. The power steering column is also roughly 2 inches shorter than the manual one. If you are swapping from power steering to manual, there is an adapter available from Mancini Racing, Firmfeel, or Flaming River that matches the input shaft sizes and lengthens the power steering column to the proper length. If your coupler is just worn out, there are rebuild kits on eBay for around 10 bucks.

70 - 76 the couplers are definitely different between a manual vs power steering box. A manual coupler is a larger diameter. So it's not just the steering shaft length that is different.

I find the pot couplers are pretty easy to rebuild. The hardest part is crimping the steel cover tabs over the rubber gasket and coupler. That can be best done using a vise to fold the cover tabs over the raised bumps on the coupler so the tabs form a U shape.

There's a bit of play up and down engineered into the coupler that those aftermarket couplers may not have. Without it, any chassis flex can get transmitted directly to the steering shaft, breaking the nylon 'pins' that keep the steering shaft from telescoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back