Steering coupler's are different!

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I'm putting this out there hoping for some help from the community. In the process of replacing and rebuilding my 67 dart manual steering column and coupler. I ordered what I thought was an exact replacement for my car. Well when I started to put the new coupler in there is a distinct difference between my old one and my new one. The new coupler has a small hole at the top where the lid and gasket clips on. I'm assuming I need to purchase or find a dowel or roll pin to put in there to fill hole? Is this pin to hold in the parts inside the coupler? Can I just fill the hole or if I have to buy a new pin what is it and where can I get it? See the attached photo to reference. Any help much appreciated.

Carl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 203
Put a roll pin in there. It's not necessary, but one thing that I did on both of my sons' cars was to drill/tap a hole in that area and put a screw in. I did this before I knew the factory had solved the problem in later years. It prevents the coupler from coming apart when removing the column.

Jim

How long should the roll pin be? I found one at the local hardware store by me and it would fit in there nice and tight if I lightly knocked it in. I'm just wondering if it might need to be cut down in length. The one I have is approx 3/4 inch.

That little pin is closer to a 1/4 long, maybe only 3/16, Didn't enter very far.

Put it together and stick a small screwdriver in the hole. You'll then know how long it should be.

-
Back