Steering Coupling Assy

-

73Swinger18

✱ⓈⓌⒾⓃⒼⒺⓇ
Reaction score
I am going to rebuild my steering coupling assy on my '73 Dart with power steering. Could you please refer me to a good place to buy these kits from? Thank you.

I just rebuilt the coupler in my 76 duster. Try the local Dodge dealer. Part # 4443436ac list price is around $22. I am a tech at a Dodge dealer and I rebuilt plenty of these couplers on 80's and early 90's Ram trucks. Yep, it is the same coupler ! I checked the part # year range and it shows 1951 to 1996 !

1224162054.jpg

I just rebuilt the coupler in my 76 duster. Try the local Dodge dealer. Part # 4443436ac list price is around $22. I am a tech at a Dodge dealer and I rebuilt plenty of these couplers on 80's and early 90's Ram trucks. Yep, it is the same coupler ! I checked the part # year range and it shows 1951 to 1996 !

View attachment 1715005332
Sweet! That's cheaper than what is offered online. Thank you.

Always glad to help. Funny thing is that I was thinking about writing a How-To article for this steering coupler deal.

Always glad to help. Funny thing is that I was thinking about writing a How-To article for this steering coupler deal.
Please do. My R/R of my starter turned into the R/R of the power steering pump, gearbox, and coupler. Damn headers! Car is torn apart. Have to wait for this weekend's rain to pass before I can install everything. The wife likes when it rains, keeps me in the house!
IMG_20170106_211220.jpg

What about the top clip? We need a PN for that!

The spring style clip? I know there are two 3" and 3.5"

The box top was crimped on in a bottle cap fashion. Reproducing that fit with the new top is doable but not simple. What I do is treat the OEM top as a bottle cap. I distort it in one quadrant ( sort of like a bottle opener does ) just barely enough to pop it off, so I can put it right back on again. Thus the new top isn't needed, nor is the wire retainer.

Last edited:
One comment for first time installers of these kits. The ears on the metal top cap would work better if they were a bit longer. Before tapping them down, make sure the cap is pulled down TIGHT and square all around, then hammer the ears down. An extra set of hands will help. If not, the cap will not stay in place. The tabs will pop off the ears on one side or the other.

Get a u- joint conversion to eliminate an eventual problem. Same or cheaper price. If not worried about being stock item.

When I installed mine, I bent all the ears to point down prior to install, the used channel locks and crimped them down. Tight as a drum. I have a ujoint for it someday maybe, but the OE worked flawless

-
Back