Steering Question

-

fastcorgigarage

Reaction score
Ok I'm working on my daughters rat rod which is a 76 B200 Van.

The current issue we are having is that there is zero tension in the steering column. When I say zero I mean a fly running on the steering wheel can turn it.

I cant figure out what is causing this but I don't like how easy it is to turn. I know that may sound crazy but to me its a sign of some things not right.

I don't get what the problem is. There has to be SOME tension if the column is connected to the box. Do you mean it turns freely and does not turn the front wheels?

You examined the flex connector between the box and the column? (I think these are a rag coupler?)

it is connected to the box but it turns like its not. That's what makes this situation weird.

Yea kinda sounds like the rag joint is gone or the gear box is busted

I will check out the rag joint tomorrow. I have never had a vehicle have this issue. When it is moving down the road there is absolutely no resistance when you turn the wheel. My wife was messing around and turning the whell with just her pointer fingers nail.

Check to make sure the steering box to frame bolts are tight...

I know the steering box is ok and tight. I put a new one on a few months ago and used lock tight in hopes that it would fix the issue but sadly it didn't, so then I replaced the power steering pump and lines. Since the issue is still at large I figured it was time for the message boards.

You have yet to answer the question. Do the front wheels turn when you turn the steering wheel? Yes or no.

Sounds like you need to have the suspension components checked. Your van has 2 idler arms.

Grab the rod that connects the 2 idler arms and check for up & down play...

I will check the idler arms as well why I'm under it tomorrow. I was debating on whether or not to rebuild the front end anyway so this may be the decider.

Well if it turns the wheels no need to check the rag joint =P~

..........U prolly have the wrong power steering pump on there, u can lower the pressure by adding shims to the pressure release valve....

is this a lowered van with drop spindles.........kim......

I drove a dump truck once years ago that had a similar issue, but worse. Going into a turn, the wheel would continue the turn to full limit, if you allowed it. When stopped, I could turn the wheel a quarter turn, let go of the wheel, and it would continue turning all the way to the full limit. I figured the pump was set up too high, too much pressure (?)

You have yet to answer the question. Do the front wheels turn when you turn the steering wheel? Yes or no.

Yes the wheels turn. I thought that question was answered when I said it has these issues when driving down the road.

No you have NOT made it clear!!!

Does it steer OK? wander over the road? Does it seem safe to drive? Is there play in the steering? How did this come about? How long have you had this vehicle? Did the problem just pop up one day? Or did you just buy it and it's done it since you've had it?

I'm beginning to agree, sounds like an overboosted pump?

Some of these old girls had LOTS of steering boost. If someone aligned the fornt with little caster, and depending on the tires, I can see this symptom

-
Back