Steering shaft diameter

-

Will_H#24

Reaction score
I'm looking to add power steering to my non power steering 69 Dart 340 Swinger. The kits are specific to the steering shaft diameter.. How can I find this out other than tearing it apart?

20240731_111204.jpg

Last edited:
3/4".
But since installing one of the "kits" will require you to remove the steering column and cut & shorten the shaft, consider placing an ad for a power steering column for your Dart. There are guys on this forum looking to do the opposite- go from power steering to manual- and would give their eyeteeth for the longer manual column. Given equal condition, a straight up trade could save you some bucks, especially if you're not doing the work yourself (and take the guesswork out of indexing a cut column to the new coupler/U-joint).

You can put an adjustable wrench on the shaft, snug it up, then put the wrench on a ruler. A dial caliper is a another fairly cheap way.

You can also wrap a piece of string around the shaft, put a mark across the string where it overlaps, then pull the string and measure the distance between the marks to find the circumference of the circle.

Last edited:
This is what I was trying to understand.

Were you talking about the steering column steering shaft (blue)

Or the steering gear input shaft. (Yellow)

I'm doing the reverse to you.

I'm replacing my power steering with manual steering.

I have a column shift manual column and the PS console shift column

I'm going to swap the steering shaft from one column to the other.

Screenshot_20240731-172912.png

This is what I was trying to understand.

Were you talking about the steering column steering shaft (blue)

Or the steering gear input shaft. (Yellow)

I'm doing the reverse to you.

I'm replacing my power steering with manual steering.

I have a column shift manual column and the PS console shift column

I'm going to swap the steering shaft from one column to the other.

View attachment 1716283443
I'm not sure but I think the blue. I'm just looking into it at this time. Thanks for the reply.

I'm just looking into it at this time.
So what does this mean? "I'm ok with a vague answer?" I don't understand. Either you want accurate information or you don't. I can give you accurate answers as I have several steering shafts out in the shop, but I need to know exactly what measurements you're lookin for.

FYI...

The u joint coupler that is sold with these kits will resonate the steering box noise into the car

My mom's 65 mustang has a kit like that installed and when you turn the wheel you can hear and feel the fluid In The box moving.

It's very annoying.

Stick with stock components and you will be happier

I know I’m late entering this but the only shaft DIAMETER that changed was the pitman shaft. A 66 A body would be the smaller of the two.
A bodies got the bigger pitman shaft in 73 on the power steering only.

I know I’m late entering this but the only shaft DIAMETER that changed was the pitman shaft. A 66 A body would be the smaller of the two.
A bodies got the bigger pitman shaft in 73 on the power steering only.

i asked if he was talking about the proper steering shaft. never got a reply.

-
Back