Steering stops?

-

Zcuda68

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm currently mocking up steering and doing wheel fitment. with all new qa1 k member, upper and lower a-arms, with beefy 11/16" tie rod ends and sleeves. Running wilwood dynalite front disc 11" rotors . Also have borgenson power steering box. I have a couple of questions. I want to run 275/40r18 and I'm trying to figure out backspacing for wheels. Car is a 68 barracuda, was a /6 car with a 3 speed, converting to a 408 stroke with a 5 speed tremec that is mocked in the car now. T-bars are firm feel 1.03, going for a lower handling car. I understand with this setup I'm going to to have to do a lot of front fender work to get this size tire in there.

1st question- are there any steering stops? I see nubs on lower ball joint/steering arm, but qa1 LCA has nothing and I have no reference point to go off of. As far as degree or measurement from frame. I just need a reference to get close so I can order wheels.

2nd question- is tied to 1st question, bump stops? How much travel do you guys have? Did you have to extend bump stops for bigger tire? Again I just need a reference point to get close. All this ties to wheel fitment. I'd like to only buy wheels once. Thanks FABO and pics are welcome

The 275/40 is tall. Not only are you going to have the issue with the clearance at the front edge of the fender like what I addressed you may also have to deal with the tire rubbing the frame at full lock in the back. You can put a notch in the frame, I would do that before I tried limiting turning radius. Since you have different spindles, hubs and brakes than mine I do not know what your fitment situation is going to be. Your best starting point would be to find a stock 18" Mustang wheel as a starting point for fitment testing. If you have a friend with a Mustang that would be ideal. My front wheel is +35mm offset. For 18x9 that is 6.38" backspacing, for 18x9.5 the same offset would give you 6.63" backspacing. Please keep in mind that I have a different hub and brake setup, so it may be different for your car.

The 275/40 is tall. Not only are you going to have the issue with the clearance at the front edge of the fender like what I addressed you may also have to deal with the tire rubbing the frame at full lock in the back. You can put a notch in the frame, I would do that before I tried limiting turning radius. Since you have different spindles, hubs and brakes than mine I do not know what your fitment situation is going to be. Your best starting point would be to find a stock 18" Mustang wheel as a starting point for fitment testing. If you have a friend with a Mustang that would be ideal. My front wheel is +35mm offset. For 18x9 that is 6.38" backspacing, for 18x9.5 the same offset would give you 6.63" backspacing. Please keep in mind that I have a different hub and brake setup, so it may be different for your car.
@mosleyme Do you have any pics of a steering stop on your lower a-arm? I have nothing to look at as far as stock steering stops go. That's what I'm unsure of. Was there ever any steering stops? Or if there was, Where were they?
Thanks Moselyme

-
Back