Steering too tight after adjusting column

-

player1up

Reaction score
Last night I decided to start taking care of the vibration noises inside the car. One was coming from the steering column ( it was rubbing on the plastic cover plate that screws to the dash). So I loosened the 4 bolts that hold the steering column sections together and pulled it out about 1/8-1/4 of an inch and tightened it back down... now this morning on the way to work the steering got tighter and now when I move the wheel back and forth, the shift lever moves a little..
What did I do wrong? I want to fix this before I drive it too much further. It's tight enough so that it wont let the steering wheel return to center after I let go.

I'm just totally confused by your description. There are 4 bolts that hold the mounting bracket on the column. No adjustment to be had there really. Then 2 or 3 bolts hold that bracket to the dash that adjust lengthwise. If you pull the column left or right it will bind in the bearings. Dont attempt to center it in the radius at bottom of instrument panel. Bestt to just let it land where it wants.

Yep there are studs with "sprocket" washers and 7/16th nuts that hold the bracket to the dash, and 4 1/2 inch bolts that hold the bracket to the column. I slid the column out toward the driver by loosening the 4 bolts, would that move the end of the shaft upward in the coupler? ugh it never ends... the strange thing is that it wasn't tight immediately, it got tighter as I drove.

DOH! how do you delete a post :) it had nothing to do with the 4 bolts... the steering got tight when I tightened the sprocket nut things... I hate it when I overlook something.... :tard:

-
Back