Steering wheel binding

-

bernieca

Reaction score
Dropped the steering wheel to re-do dash and when I got it back up in place it is binding. When I turn it, it forces the gear shift (colum car) to move. I tried adjusting the linkage on the trans (904) but no go. If I use washers as spacers and drop the wheel about 4 inches it frees up. Anyone encounter a similar problem and any recommendations?

Put it back where it belongs and give the steering wheel a good hard two palmed thump towards the engine bay.

Not sure if yours is the same as mine but there are nuts on either side of the "mounting" strap on the strap is a locating nub. Make sure the nub is facing the rear of the car and is lined up with the slot. Also make sure the rubber gasket is under the strap.

It might have bound up some where the column goes through the firewall. Usually when I drop mine to do any work I loosen those 4 bolts around the plate at the firewall.

Try loosening the column bolts and those 4 bolts and line it up, make sure it's properly centered (left to right rotation) and re-tighten the bolts.

The column may have turned on you slightly one way or the other and as trailbeast said give it a thump toward the engine bay.

It might have bound up some where the column goes through the firewall. Usually when I drop mine to do any work I loosen those 4 bolts around the plate at the firewall.

Try loosening the column bolts and those 4 bolts and line it up, make sure it's properly centered (left to right rotation) and re-tighten the bolts.

The column may have turned on you slightly one way or the other and as trailbeast said give it a thump toward the engine bay.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Not sure if yours is the same as mine but there are nuts on either side of the "mounting" strap on the strap is a locating nub. Make sure the nub is facing the rear of the car and is lined up with the slot. Also make sure the rubber gasket is under the strap.

I will look and see. If it has the nub, I will be sure it is facing the back of the car. Thanks.

-
Back