steering wheel diameter

-

moparmanik

a body junkie
Reaction score
was just wondering if any of you are running a smaller dia. steering wheel with a manual steering box, and how is it? was looking to replace my original wheel in my valiant with a smaller unit(13-14"),but i'm thinking that it would be a little tough and would probly have to crank the wheel a bit more from lock to lock.any input would be appreciated. thanks. ps would be running a 185/60/14 tire in front. 8)

Back in the late '80s I put a 13" Grant wheel on my '72 Dart (manual EVERYTHING), and it was great while driving, it made the steering much more responsive, it also made pulling into a parking space a two-handed strain-till-you-fart workout. Also, I usually only had a vague idea of what any of my gauges read because the new wheel was right in the line of sight. I didn't care when I was 16, I loved it then. My daily driver has a 15.5" wheel now. I swapped on a 14" Grant and took it back off before I even tightened it down. Now even though I have power steering, I don't like the wheel being in the way of the instrument panel. I'd say buy a cheap wheel and try it for a few trips to see if you can live with it, before you put down any serious money on one.

Oh, your lock-to-ratio will not change, it'll just take more effort, which is good at speed because you will get more steering movement from less distance (of your hands) travelled, but crappy when you are not moving and you have to fight the total static weight of the car and 100% tire grip.
It's just like the gears on a 10 speed bike, If you try to start in 10th gear, it sucks, but once you are moving the pedaling is easy again.

I got a Grant 870 on the Duster. It's 13.75 around. It works pretty good
even with out power steering. Just a little more effort at slow speeds.
Parking lots!

If you are young and strong armed, go for it. Keep the big steering wheel for your senior years.

If it's the 16:1 quick ratio box, I'd say fugetaboutit! A 24:1 box will be hard enough when it comes to parking.

Just recently changed over the Demon from manual to power. Couldn't be happier :-D. I had a heck of a time w/ the manual steering and a tuff wheel trying to park....PITA

how do you tell which is which ? certain part # different case?

I don't know about the #'s, but count the turns (lock to lock).

Everything about them looks the same....just a different worm gear assembly. The 16:1 box is about 2 turns lock to lock....the 24:1 is around 3.8.

Problem with the 13" or 14" steering wheels is seeing the gauges. I have a 15" wheel. That obstucts things a little. I like the thicker grip too.

Attachments

• RodBrg6_12_10Md02.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 244
I put this 15" Grant on my 64 Signet with at 24 box and I can see the gauges better but it just wasn't as comfortable as the smaller one shown in the second photo, which I've had on it for almost 25 years. Granted its outter diameter is 13.5 inches but it seemed more to my liking and at 67 years old, it gives me at least some exercise :)
360011.jpg

Aug09033.jpg

I've got a 14" Grant Challenger wheel in my Barracuda,Challenger and Valiant ute.

The cuda is 440 powered with manual steering box and heavy steering at low speeds.Front tyres are 165/85/15

The Challenger is also 440 but with quick ratio power steer and it's a dream to drive.Front tyres are 205/70/15

The Valiant ute is slant six with manual steer and is a touch hevy for parking but not too bad.Front tyres are 175/80/15

In all of them the guages are somewhat obscured but I have visible auxiliary gauges in all cars (I just don't trust 40+ yr old guages anymore)

The thicker padded rim just feels so much nicer.

Also I'm a 6' leggy bloke so the smaller diameter makes me a lot better fit and easier entry/exit.

Problem with the 13" or 14" steering wheels is seeing the gauges. I have a 15" wheel. That obstucts things a little. I like the thicker grip too.
Driving and photographing at the same time? Were you on the phone and brushing your teeth too?? :shock: You must have a fairly low gear ration in that thing as I see the RPM at 4K and the speedo hasn't hit 80 yet! :toothy7:

-
Back