Steering wheel nut thread & size

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
sorry I don't know this. I lost the nut that holds the steering wheel to the column. My guess is it's 5/8 course standard right thread. Looking to install my tuff wheel and adaptor and I discovered I lost the nut sometime over the past six years, lol
Going to see if I can find one in the specialty bins at Lowes or Home Depot. Thought the may be one inthe adaptor kit but no such luck
IMG_7147.JPG

Others maybe chime in, but I believe it to be an interference style lock nut.

Just curious, where would you buy one? Fasten also doesn't show them, nothing shows up on amazon

You need to figure out thread pitch (threads per inch) I'd bet it is SAE meaning "fine thread". It will NOT be course but it might be "special.

If you don't have a thread gauge, you can press a piece of paper against the threads, and capture the "fingerprint" of as many as you can. Use a good rule and magnifier to count threads and figure how many per inch. 17 per half inch, etc is 34 TPI

I believe that thread is 9/16-18. As already mentioned it's a jam nut, the originals may be slightly thinner than a standard nut too. It's not totally unique, but it's not always something you can get at the average (mediocre) hardware store.

I bought a whole box of them at McMaster-Carr.

I bought a whole box of them at McMaster-Carr.
The nut Tony sent arrived yesterday and it does not fit. The washer he sent along with it does not even fit over the threads. Must be 9/16 on this column anyway.

The box I bought says 9/16 - 18 on it, pm me you address and I will drop one in the mail.

The nut Tony sent arrived yesterday and it does not fit. The washer he sent along with it does not even fit over the threads. Must be 9/16 on this column anyway.
Because I am ignorant I didn't know 9/16-18 is a common lugnuts size available at autozone and the like. I'll grab one of the later just to verify my thread...

-
Back