Steering Wheel Removal

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
Okay , it's dumb question time :cheers: .

Gotta yank the tiller on my '72 ( it's the 'upgraded' wheel ) and am wondering wth to do with the horn plate (?) and its removal :glasses9: .

I popped that centre applique off ; I've already got a steering wheel puller , and I've located the obvious 3/4 (?) nut , but I cannot see where I'm supposed to bolt the puller to ! That horn plate is in the way ; I can see some tapped holes behind the plate , and I see 3 screws that retain the plate , but I don't want to just start unscrewing stuff if I don't need to :toothy10: , only to have in fall-into the Bermuda Triangle steering column !

Anyhow ... it's the 3-spoke wheel that's commonly found on '71 - '73 "A" , "B" and "C" bodies , with the horn activation pads on each spoke .

Thanks much !

pics help
I don't have any way to post pics , unfortunately :-(
I've done a google search for diagrammes and whatnot , to no avail .

I just need to find someone on this forum whom has removed the stock , 3-spoke steering wheel from their '71 - '73 "A" , "B" or "C" body .

Lemme see if there's a pic of just the steering wheel , via google images ...

this style wheel ... ( and , this dude needs to vacuum his Dart's interior !! )

Attachments

• 33807200006_large.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 227
I just removed mine and added a Tuff wheel,there should be 3 little screws holding the horn"pad"on.Remove these and install the puller.

thanks much , guys !
I was concerned about unscrewing those 3 Philip's Head screws . I know that sounds stupid , but I find it better to ask first instead of blindly and arbitrarily removing retainers !

did mine yesterday on 72 dart. just like your wheel

the hard part is getting the center cap off without loosing the tabs. you're past that. take out the 3 screws that hold the horn buttoms on, after unplug the horn wire. it just un plugs. this gives you access to the bare steering wheel
take off the large nut, use a puller by using the two screw holes located next to the large nut you took off. they go in about 1/3 inch. this holds the bottom of the puller. rest is easy. point here! place the large nut back on and turn it a few turns but not all the way back on. this will help you if the threads get monkeyed up from the pull. also!! get a sharpie and mark the correct position of the shaft with a line or arrow in case you move something and this will let you replace the wheel straight etc. i have pics of the parts, send me your email and ill send you the pics of the wheel and the parts so you can see what you are taking off. not scary or nothing. very easy. just don't take anything apart you dont have to.

did mine yesterday on 72 dart. just like your wheel

the hard part is getting the center cap off without loosing the tabs. ....

I didn't realise that there were lose parts coming off when I remove the cover.

Isn't it rather getting the center cap off without breaking the retainers? When I pull at it, that thing moans and squeaks and crackles, but it won't let go. Don't want to break it.

Are there plastic clips, or metal prongs?
Pry it loose with a screwdriver? Just tear it off with an effort?
One arm at a time, or all three simultaneously?
Any funny moves, or some outlandish tricks with a special tool?

I am talking about the inner section:
25942946813_31459ece12.jpg

Or should I go for big mama?
26545874805_0c8acba1b2.jpg

Thank you all!

-
Back