Steering wheels

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
Could anybody please tell me the best way to center a steering wheel?I just completed putting a whole new front end on my 71 scamp and I was wanting to center the st.wheel,but the way i have been trying does not work.Can this be done by removing the drag link completely or is there another way?

If your toe is done and i don't know what all you have done to it after market wise. (steer bumb stops are equal length tie rods look equal lengths? besides taking a toe plate measurement) but an easy at home garage way would be to measure with marking your steering wheel lock to lock. Should be 3 1/2 turns for 16-1 ratio. split it for the "middle" then a clocking the steering coupler or steering wheel.

If I'm wrong someone please speak up.

I thought all chrysler steering shafts had a master (wide) spline that prevents clocking the steering wheel.

How much is your wheel off center? Did you replace tie rods? Is there a roughly equal amount of thread showing on tie-rods when comparing left side to right side?

The centering of the wheel should be part of the front end alignment so if the shop didn't do it, bring it back and get them to. The procedure on everything but a 4X4 is to lengthen one tie rod and shorten the other one the same amount to keep the toe-in correct. You can't easily (and shouldn't) just pull and reclock the wheel.

I replaced all of the tie rods,all of the ball joints and the idler arm.Before i started i measured the distance from the outer tie rods to the inner,kept everything as close to the same as I could.Before i started the steering wheel was off about 30 degrees to the left,after I was done the steering wheel was about the same place as it was,however I have not had an alignment done yet,I was going to try my luck on the st. wheel before i took the car in.I will double check the measurements on the tie rods,but the best I can remember they were about the same.

The centering of the wheel should be part of the front end alignment so if the shop didn't do it, bring it back and get them to. The procedure on everything but a 4X4 is to lengthen one tie rod and shorten the other one the same amount to keep the toe-in correct. You can't easily (and shouldn't) just pull and reclock the wheel.
I have not pulled the wheel,I was trying to figure out where I went wrong,after thinking about it I realized that the alignment may have been off when I started the front end,but i have not taken it in to be checked yet.I haven't found a shop that I trust with this car.

Centering the wheel is part of the alignment procedure. Have them do it for you......

I'm Glad some Folks spoke up. I'm used to using toe plates in the garage and trying to get the Tie Rods even for strength purposes (Dirt Track)

I thought all chrysler steering shafts had a master (wide) spline that prevents clocking the steering wheel.

Good point.
There is a wide spline on the steering wheel and on the steering box.
This insures the steering goes back together correct.

Good point.
There is a wide spline on the steering wheel and on the steering box.
This insures the steering goes back together correct.
That's true with all but the 4X4's but that hasn't stopped the misinformed from filing their own new master spline.

-
Back