stepped on brake pedal with drums off

-

Marcohotrod

Reaction score
so now shoes are out too far. what is the easy solution, back the adjuster off, or do I need to bleed off some fluid?:eek:ops:

Put the wheel cylinders back together, piston and seal.

then reassemble the brakes and PUT THE DRUMS ON AND BLEED the fluid....

Put the wheel cylinders back together, piston and seal.

then reassemble the brakes and PUT THE DRUMS ON AND BLEED the fluid....

If you pushed enough to pop out the Pistons in the cylinders do this ^^^^^^^^
If not then just push them back in by hand or c clamp

I did not pop out the pistons. tried to push back in by hand by pushing on the shoes, no go. I wish I had a big C clamp so I would not need to remove shoes

Open the bleed valve, push the shoes back, close the bleed valve. Check everything, install drums. Bleed brakes to release any air.

Pull the shoes away from the backing plate and then push in,, there a lip/pad that the shoe will click over when overextended and won't return till pulled free..

Pull the shoes away from the backing plate and then push in,, there a lip/pad that the shoe will click over when overextended and won't return till pulled free..

^^^^ x2

Open the bleed valve, push the shoes back, close the bleed valve. Check everything, install drums. Bleed brakes to release any air.

Thank you sir, this is the way most would do it.

I did not pop out the pistons. tried to push back in by hand by pushing on the shoes, no go. I wish I had a big C clamp so I would not need to remove shoes

No, remove the shoes and then you should be able to push the pistons for the wheel cylinder in-and-out from side to side. If they are not free moving, then they will hang up and I would recommend replacing the wheel cylinders. I always cycle the pistons in the wheel cylinders to check for freeness when doing brakes...

As stated before, the shoes can expand outward and hang up on the outer ridge of the backing plates...

I got lucky and looking at it again only 1 shoe was out on each side, with a flat screwdriver and a little banging with a gloved hand, got the piston in without cracking any bleeder screws:happy1:

-
Back