stereo help

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Im planning on putting a nice stereo in the Dart. I have a set of Sony Xplod 6" speakers I figured I could put in the kick panels (which are all ready cut) a old Sony Amp ( I believe its 40wattsX4 ) and a nice Clarion head unit.

The head unit has 3 sets of RCAs but I dont have the instructions so Im not sure if they are all amp outs or what. I dont believe it has an iPod input so I may replace it, But...

My plan is to add a pair of 6X9s in the deck
Some quick measuring looks like I could get a 10" sub under the rear deck as well as long as the box isnt huge.

I figure I could use the amp I have to power the 6" speakers in the kick panels and the 6X9s in the rear,

Use the deck to power a pair of 3.5"s in the dash

and pick up another amp for the sub.

Does this sound like a good plan ? I know very little about car audio equipment so any recommendations would be great.

Depends on how much outage those speakers have 40x4 isnt that much only about 160 watts. but you have to distibute that throught the speakers id go with a 12'' sub and id say screw the little amp just power your speakers with the deck youll get better clarity through the mini amp in your cd deck unit and the 12'' will hit alot harder for 10 bucks more. If your going to get an amp for the subs be sure to get a mono amplifier they are made especially for subwoofers youll need to be looking for about 800 wattsx2 if your only goin to use one subwoofer that will be plenty. But if your using 2, go with the 1000x2 if your not looking for that HARD HARD bass thump and just want it for easy listening go to wlamart they are inexpensive and work well with anything.

Not looking to shatter the rear window. I do want a nice rounded sound that can be heard over the exhaust.

Hey Adam,
crutchfield has this 5 channel amp on sale that will power everything you need and keep the install clean. Its a hundred dollars off at 99.00 for an alpine you cant go wrong..
Harold

Alpine MRA-F350
5-channel Digital Theater car amplifier
50 watts RMS x 5

6 people say:
Item #500MRAF350 IN STOCK
Original Price $199.99
Price Break -$100.00
Installation guide(s) FREE
Your Price $99.99
Save to wishlist

Also Available In
Outlet$89.99
Scratch & Dent$84.99

Ok
10'' sub, AIR tight box/ 1 to 1.3 cubic foot internal volume. Construct out of 1'' MDF/ carpet optional but suggested. Sub amp (make sure it's 2 ohm stable) at least 100 true watts. 6x9s rear deck, make sure they are wired as rear from head unit (amped if you like or off deck should be fine). Most deck faders also control sub as rear this is what you want, or separately.

Front stage, 6' in panels put a 20-40 UF capacitor on these, power off deck might want to cut lead to tweeter if 6s are a 2 way or get 1 way 6 “ speakers. Tweeters 1" mylar dome self contained 2 to 4 UF capacitor on these. wire front stage in parallel.

Tweeters should ideally be mounted ear level on pillar trim. might get away with hiding them (as far apart as possible under factory speaker grill in dash)but would recommend on pillars.

RCAs are probably front/rear/sub.

You will easily be able to hear this over anything but open exhaust. And more importantly you will enjoy listening to it.

Hey Adam. Id upgrade to a different stereo with ipod input first of all. And if you are going with 6 x 9s in the deck, 6" in the kicks, and a sub I wouldnt even keep the dash speakers to be honest. You will have more than enough high from what you have(the dash speakers will just each up output watts) and you will have plenty of low with a good sub. If you chose to go that route you'd have 2 choices. Go with a cheaper head unit and a nice powerful amp with sub outs. Or, eliminate the amp and spend that money on an upgraded output headunit that has seperate sub outs. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Lose the 6x9's and just go with a good set of tweets, set of mids, and a mild set of 8" subs if clarity is all you want and not the boom in the trunk. I would suggest Polk Audio or Boston Acoustic pro series. You will like the results. Depends all on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Good luck ;)

~LL~

Lose the 6x9's and just go with a good set of tweets, set of mids, and a mild set of 8" subs if clarity is all you want and not the boom in the trunk. I would suggest Polk Audio or Boston Acoustic pro series. You will like the results. Depends all on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Good luck ;)

~LL~

Pretty much.
adam
I run one 12 sub blapunkt dual voice ,jbl 4'mid 1'tweet in the doors & sony 6\9 mid bass in the rear deck.
Orion 80w amp from the 80's for the mids, & a crunch 600w for the sub & rear deck.
If I was rich?.....boston's, mb quartz,
I tried yrs ago plain old 5 1/4 frnt & 6/9 rear and I always had to crank it, to no avail, and blown out 6/9's.
Unless your motors stock quite?

-
Back