stick welding patch panels??

-

cuda67bnl

Reaction score
Anyone used a stick welder to install patches? How'd it go?

Sounds scary to me. I would contact a welding supply house to see what is the smallest rod size available. Typically stick welding has alot of heat, which means bad for panels.

I can almost garantee you it would look like crap. Stick welding is NOT good for thin gauge steel. Mig or tig is generally used for thin stuff. You would probably blow a big hole in the sheetmetal.

It's gonna be floor patches, so I'm gonna have to try it at least. I don't own a mig, but this might be a good excuse to buy one.......

Buy a mig, it's worth it in the long run. I use my mig for everything, from welding the lawnmower, to doing body panels. I've also tried arcing sheet metal, (not lately), with very sorry results. Howard

I've been browsing for migs today. Can anyone suggest any? Are you guys using a true mig with shielding gas, or the flux wire deals? I'll likely spring for one later this week, but would like to hear what others are using.

My opinion is to get the gas. You'll be glad you did. I bought the flux-core and it is a pain. Shielding-gas unit is much better. JMO, Mike

I have a Lincoln SP135. It's has a gas kit. Don't waste your time without a gas kit. You will wind up getting one if it doesn't. Especially for panel welding.

yeah the gas-less is crap, pure crapola. If your going to buy a wire feed machine, get a decent one. Nothing worse than a REALLY cheap wire feed machine.

I used a Lincoln 135 throughout my project and other uses. Spend a little extra for the gas setup. Gasless is really only suited for heavy material. Then go buy a bottle of CO2/Argon from a gas supplier (on an exchange basis). The money you think you'll save using a stick welder will be quickly offset by the damage done to new and old sheetmetal.

Northern Tool .. I just bought a Hobardt Handler 140... 12 months no interest free shipping and free auto dimming hood... I think it was $468.00 I really like it so far... Not saying it is the best or the best deal just giving you an option.. Hard to be 12 month no interest..

I have 3 welders in my shop. I use stick for anything thicker than 1/16 unless its an irregurlar shape or over head. I use a cheepo 110v flux core welder for lighter sheetmetal if its dirty or rusty (like floor pans). and I have a 230v century that i bought thinking it could replace the other 2. for some reason the century has just never welded well, so i just use it when real mig is neaded or I have to do alot of welding as its duty cycle is much better..IMO the century is a POS. i replaced the transformer under warranty. they sent the part i changed it, but it still doesnt weld right. as good as before it burned out but not well. A good mig is a great tool and would be what i would suggest, but at times its nice to be able to switch to flux core in the same unit.

I have a Century at home that I weld a lot with It works ok but its not half as good as the Lincoln we have at work. If I had to get a new one I'd by a Lincoln or Miller.

I have a Lincoln and a heavier duty Miller, both with shielding gas, both are great. Make sure you get a auto dimmer helmet, they're not that expensive anymore and make life so much easier. :thumbup:

I got an auto helmet several years ago. I love it. Made me a much better welder since I wasn't arcing my eyes all the time... I had an unexpected bill come up, so it looks like I'm gonna have to put off the welder for another week. I appreciate everyone's input!

I bought a hobart handler 140 about 2 months ago at tractor supply for a little over $400 comes with the gas setup and is only 110. Not good for anything real heavy but for panels its alright.

i'm with 360Scamp on this one. i got my millermatic 135 a few years ago and now wonder how i survived without it for so long. its perfect for automotive work, its portable, hell even the gas bottle fits in the dart's trunk!! and you can plug it in anywhere. i can't remember how much i paid, but it is worth every penny.

I have lap welded floorpans with a 1/16 6013 rod at a low heat setting when I had no other choice, and it turned out o.k. I am a experienced welder and don't reccomend this for the ameteur. Buy name brand welders and you won't have a problem with parts and warranty. I own a miller 135 mig and never have problems with it, it's great for bodywork and light welding in general. I recomend 75% argon 25% Co2 gas.

-
Back