Sticky Auto Floor Shifter

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
Interior is gutted, so no floor console. The transmission is a 727 w/ a Cheetah turbo action reverse shift manual automatic, w/ no gear braking in 1st gear.

This thing always shifted as smooth as could be, up and down..

Now, it comes out of park to reverse and into neutral, 1st, 2nd and 3rd upshifting, perfectly.

The problem is downshifting. Clicks easily from 3 -- 2 , but binds up from 2-1. All the linkage is free and we lubed it up yesterday, but still hung up, unless you go back to 3rd, and then FIRMLY go up through 2nd and into 1st.

We put it on the lift and though it's sloppy, nothing seems to be binding. Could something be F'd up internally ??

Thanks

Kenny

Stock shifter ? There is a blade like piece sticking out of a slot at bottom of the tube. That may be bent and /or binding in the slot. It may be hanging on the steps or detents since you are wearing it backward from the way it was designed to step.

Stock shifter ? There is a blade like piece sticking out of a slot at bottom of the tube. That may be bent and /or binding in the slot. It may be hanging on the steps or detents since you are wearing it backward from the way it was designed to step.

Yes, it is the stock shifter .. I checked the movement at the detents closely, and no hang ups there .. This just happened after I changed the neutral safety switch, but nothing is binding underneath .. Pisses me off, cause I kinda like the stock shifter.. I think I'm gonna have to disconnect the linkage at the tranny and see how it moves there ???

Back that switch out a few turns. If the problem goes away make the vendor exchange the switch. Blame the Chineese

OK, I'll give that a whirl and let ya know .. Ya think it's in too deep and causing an obstruction ? It looked just like the other one, but I didn't measure it, and being the pack rat that I am, I probably still have the old one ...

Thanks Red, I'll update asap

Kenny

Well RedFish ... You were RIGHT !!! The new switch has to be backed out almost 3/4 of a turn for the shifter to go up from 2-1 (reverse pattern valve body) I got this one at NAPA, and I'm sure I could get a credit, but a replacement will probably be the same crap ...Can't find the old one so can't measure them side by side.. ("looked" identical) . Anyone know where to get one that might possibly be made in the USA ??

Another thing, and this is puzzling me .. When I pulled the first one, no fluid came out at all ... I backed this one all the way out and fluid started pouring out .. What's up with that ???

Thanks

Kenny

First get the switch exchanged. Poke a little white litium grease in the switch button hole. Put an extra round of teflon tape on the threads. Screw it in snug. Dont over tighten

First get the switch exchanged. Poke a little white litium grease in the switch button hole. Put an extra round of teflon tape on the threads. Screw it in snug. Dont over tighten

OK, gotcha, and will do .. Is it normal for the tranny fluid to gush out ?? I mean, it wasn't leaking at all, just wouldn't shift .. As I said earlier, when I pulled the old one out, it didn't leak a drop ... Could I have pushed too hard on something and done damage installing this one ??

Thanks

Kenny

make sure you put the sealing washer on the new switch,they like to stick to switch

You should n't loose large amounts of fluid at that switch port unless the trans pumps are running. If there is a seal washer in place, you may not need the teflon thread tape to shorten its depth at tight. Good luck

There definitely is a rubber sealing washer on the replacement .. I un-threaded the damn switch and fluid poured out like doing an oil change .... Nothing came out when I took out the first one...

-
Back