Stiffening my power steering?

-

J & N's DaR/T

Reaction score
:dontknow:Can anyone recomend or shoot me in the right direction to find out how to stiffen the power steering? :cheers:

You can send the steering box to Firm Feel, to get it modified. I think they offer 3 levels of firmness. I had one done for a 1968 R/T Charger. I had rebuilt to a #2 level. It took the over-boosted feel out of the steering.

Would a restriction in the high pressure line from the pump to the gearbox reduce the amount of "assist"? or reducing the amount of tension on the pressure relief valve?
I'm just guessing but my rationale is that if there is lower pressure then there is also less assist since the pressure is what drives the gear...

...Nevermind, i found the Mopar Muscle magazine article where it says that the steering resistance is set by shims .....

"The eventual firmness of the steering system is adjusted to each customers' tastes by different thickness of shims (arrow), which are installed after the preload adjusters."
taken from: ( bottom right picture )
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._0209_rebuilding_your_steering_box/index.html

Awesome! Thanks for the direction, I've been looking up articles on Mopar muscle lately....a lot of my questions have been answered just searching their mag.

Laugh if you want to. :joker: You can increase effort by switching to a smaller diameter steering wheel. It reduces the leverage you have over the steering box.

Be careful of putting a restictor in the pressure side as that just changes flow rate and if u need to turn the wheel real fast the effort can increase greatly depending on how fast u turn the wheel.

-
Back