Stifffening up a Hemi hood....

-

fstbackfish

SS/AA
Reaction score
I just bought a Hemi fiberglass hood for my 68 barracuda and it is a little too flimsy. I think I got a race weight one. It doesn't have any bracing on the bottom side of it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to brace it up and make it more rigid. Right now it's almost like a piece of paper lol. Thanks

you could use some high density foam. like what is used in exterior walls in homes. sold at depot or lowes. anyways, cut it into 1-2 in. strips. lay it down on the bottom side of the hood and glass over them. this creates channels. this is how most of the hoods are made when they are bolt on.

Cool idea,Y.G2.0!

you better make sure the hood is in near perfect shape (contour w/ the fenders and cowl) while bracing it, or it won`t want to set right on the car w/o being stressed .
where did you get the hood , and what did it cost? last one I bought , shipping was a deal killer . ------------------bob

I got it from cynergy composites out of Canada. Them make all of ray bartons hoods. It cost $650 for the hood and a little over $200 to ship. But There is absolutley no bracing at all on it. I needed to ask more questions before I just fired off the money I guess lol. It's only like a 1/4 inch thick, Which is great for racing and all, but I have more of a street car

I got it from cynergy composites out of Canada. Them make all of ray bartons hoods. It cost $650 for the hood and a little over $200 to ship. But There is absolutley no bracing at all on it. I needed to ask more questions before I just fired off the money I guess lol. It's only like a 1/4 inch thick, Which is great for racing and all, but I have more of a street car

wow montrose CO, i used to live there. do you know a mopar dude named Tony Mikesell?

No I don't know him. When did you live here?

back in 2006 i lived right off of hwy 550 and 1 st street over yonder. i used to work at that home depot. i moved back to the springs and lost touch with a couple people out there. is recla metals still operating?i used to drive into delta and grand junction to a couple yards to look for parts. before home depot i use to drive back and forth to telluride and work on the new condos up at the ski resort

No the hood is fiberglass

Yeah Recla is still going strong. They won't let you buy parts off of cars anymore tho....not sure why? Did you have your duster when you lived here? If you did I never saw it lol. I thought I knew all the mopar people around here. I have been here since the late 90's

No the hood is fiberglass

Yeah Recla is still going strong. They won't let you buy parts off of cars anymore tho....not sure why? Did you have your duster when you lived here? If you did I never saw it lol. I thought I knew all the mopar people around here. I have been here since the late 90's

they used to let us walk right in there and pick through the cars. anything that wasnt metal was given to me for free. they also had a 40 yard dumpster that every aluminum rim went into. you talk about a selection of slotted mags LOL i used to run around in a hemi orange 72 charger. i also had a white 65 coronet that we pulled out of the ground in fruita. i went and looked at a black 70 superbee shell a little west of highway 50 for 600 bucks, but i didnt buy it. that would be funny if that was yours lol. it may have been a 4 speed car , i dont recall now. there werent many mopars there at all. we used to go to the burnout contests in Olathe all the time. i bought my duster here in the springs.

they used to let us walk right in there and pick through the cars. anything that wasnt metal was given to me for free. they also had a 40 yard dumpster that every aluminum rim went into. you talk about a selection of slotted mags LOL i used to run around in a hemi orange 72 charger. i also had a white 65 coronet that we pulled out of the ground in fruita. i went and looked at a black 70 superbee shell a little west of highway 50 for 600 bucks, but i didnt buy it. that would be funny if that was yours lol. it may have been a 4 speed car , i dont recall now. there werent many mopars there at all. we used to go to the burnout contests in Olathe all the time. i bought my duster here in the springs.

Haha I think that was our old superbee. That was out on spring creek? An old farm house with fields all around it? We also had a 73 duster that we took to the burnout contest once. It was black with a purple stripe. We blew the tranny cooler cooler out of it there. It's a small world lol

-
Back