Still W2 Headache

-

Dart 67 sedan

Reaction score
I have a set of W2 casting # 4532693 heads that I think are 48* heads. Only I have not found out for sure this right. If this is right can I use them on a 59* block, with little or no problems? I can't find any info on these heads (I'm not the smartest apple in the basket).I do know they are race closed chamber style heads. cost $$$$ to build. If they won' t work on my block, I need find ones that will before unloading BIG $$$. I will be deeply THAKFUL for any HELP!! I really would like to use these heads for my 410 build. understand they can may top end power.

Does your head look like this on the intake side? Looks like 48 degree stuff is cut for push rods to go through. The casting number I think is the same for 48 and 59 degree stuff, just part number is different.

w2.jpg

The picture above is of a W2 for use on a 48 degree lifter block. The bolt holes are the same so they will bolt on to a 59 degree block. There are a few differences.

The valve angle is 15 degrees on these 48 degree W2 heads versus the stock, stock replacement and 59 degree W2 heads 18 degree valve angle. Therefore you may not be able to use off the shelf small block pistons that are for 18 degree heads. It will depend on the application, cam, ..... you may need custom pistons or pistons designed for W7-W9 heads which for the most part have 15 degree valve angles (except for some exceptions like the Lemans W8 head).

The location of the rocker arm bolt holes is moved on the 48 degree heads and the pedestal pads are machined differently and you can only use Jesel or T&D rocker arm set ups as cast. typical W2 rocker arm set ups do not bolt on and work properly.

I do not believe the geometry of the 59 degree block tappet angle, pushrod angle and the use of the 48 degree rocker arm set up on the 48 degree head will be ideal when installed on a 59 degree block. This should be discussed with a knowledgeable small block engine builder like Ryan at Shady Dell.

48 degree W2 heads are not drilled for shaft oiling. You need to use pushrod oiling as cast.

Rocket, killer answer. I’d like to add;

You can ask the piston manufacturer to alter the pistons valve pockets. Many manufacturers will do 1 or 2 mods before they call it a custom piston and charge accordingly. So it really should t be a problem there.

The use of the 48* head on a 59* block could be a valve train issue in a small way. Like rocket said, I’d call up or E-mail Ryan J on your particular and possible use. Somewhere in the back of my head says it is possible. I just can’t remember if I’m right.

IMO, is also have Ryan port the heads. Very well worth the coin. It is “Money well spent.”

If there is one thing your right on is the head can make excellent top end power. They also like to flow very well at high lifts. So don’t be afraid to get a big lift cam and pick those valves up!

IMO though W anything is not run of the mill cheap. Once you “NEED” to run a Jesel or TD set up, the price goes up a bit more than a simple Harland Sharp set up. It’s not wallet breaking but the little things add up. I know. Everyone wants to do it cheap or at least at a reasonable rate. The plus here is the more expensive parts are top of the line and kick ***. So if you can make the stretch, go for it!

Keep us informed!

I have a set of W2 casting # 4532693 heads that I think are 48* heads. Only I have not found out for sure this right. If this is right can I use them on a 59* block, with little or no problems? I can't find any info on these heads (I'm not the smartest apple in the basket).I do know they are race closed chamber style heads. cost $$$$ to build. If they won' t work on my block, I need find ones that will before unloading BIG $$$. I will be deeply THAKFUL for any HELP!! I really would like to use these heads for my 410 build. understand they can may top end power.
Yes you can use them on 59° blocks...TD makes the rockers. When we set them up, we use 5/16 valve's, 2.08 x 1.60 and they will usually flow around 315-320cfm....they make great power!

Yes you can use them on 59° blocks...TD makes the rockers. When we set them up, we use 5/16 valve's, 2.08 x 1.60 and they will usually flow around 315-320cfm....they make great power!
Thanks Brian!
Any special considerations, tricks or caveats to be aware of?

Thanks for the info gtsdude and rumblefish360. I will be using T&D shafts and rockers. . My heads do not look like the one in the picture not cut out for push rods. TTI list special headers for this head casting only. That's what made start looking about the degree of the head. Will start looking for part time job next for the $$$ to build lol Thanks

A big thanks to Brian as well (@ou812) for saying he has done this very thing!

So, “On behave of the group and my self, I hope we past they audition!”

-
Back