stock 318-2bbl with modified cam?

-

iran

Reaction score
Hi ,
i have a stock 318 engine that it has 2 barrel carb , i wanna know that is it alright to change the stock cam with this:

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,800-5,500

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 218

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 228

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 218 int./228 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration: 276

Advertised Exhaust Duration: 288

Advertised Duration: 276 int./288 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.441 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.441 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.441 int./0.441 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees): 114

is it alright to put it on without changing valve springs? i know it's needed to change valve spring but i don't have it , and it's enough for me if it only works better than stock cam . and if it's okay then how much hp do you think it can add?

Yeah, you can get by using the stock springs, but of course, you will not see the full potential. It will sound nice though.

It will probably REMOVE HP from where you use it most. Down low. With no other things to compliment it like better carburetor, intake and exhaust and not using the matching springs, chances are very good you will lose power and torque down low.

Yeah, you can get by using the stock springs, but of course, you will not see the full potential. It will sound nice though.

It will probably REMOVE HP from where you use it most. Down low. With no other things to compliment it like better carburetor, intake and exhaust and not using the matching springs, chances are very good you will lose power and torque down low.
you mean that i will lose power VS the amount of power that i will gain with stock cam?
so you recommend me changing stock cam with it or not?

you mean that i will lose power VS the amount of power that i will gain with stock cam?
so you recommend me changing stock cam with it or not?

It's very possible, since larger camshafts move the power band up in the RPM range. Plus, without all the other parts I mentioned earlier to compliment it, it could well be a dog on the bottom end, even compared to a stock cam.

Now, with a good intake and carburetor choice and some headers, then you have a complete package, which is what it takes to make a good change in power.

Yes, I would leave it stock until I could change more than just the camshaft.

Last edited:
Seems a little large especially for your sticking with 2 bbl. Stock cam is one of the weakest links in the 318 performance. A 2bbl can work my cousin stock car is a build engine with a 2bbl cause of rules but the main reason I'd say switching to 4 bbl other than performance reason is that get a good tune with stock carb will be next to impossible.

It's very possible, since larger camshafts move the power band up in the RPM range. Plus, without all the other parts I mentioned earlier to compliment it, it could well be a dog on the bottom end, even compared to a stock cam.

Now, with a good intake and carburetor choice and some headers, then you have a complete package, which is what it takes to make a good change in power.

Yes, I would leave it stockuntil I could change more than just the camshaft.

the only change that my 318 does to a stock is 360 valves , bigger 2bbl carb , and 360 2 bbl intake ,

i can get some valve springs ,

so what do you recommend me now ? i would like to do it even it only adds 10hp , do you think it will help or that stock cam will do better?

Best cam for a stock 318 2bbl is a 360 2bbl cam. Find a good used one (should be free), then put new lifters with it and timing chain. IF your dead set on sticking with the factory 2bbl carb that the 318 came with, the 360 2bbl cam will off a slight increase in power, enough that if your sensitive you'll feel it to be a little stronger at shift point. Your shift point will be about 200 rpm's higher than it is now (I'm guessing you have dual exhaust).

it's a slightly bigger 2bbl carb

zzzz.jpg

I like your cam choice, actually. I think if you got the springs and run a good dual exhaust system, it could make a nice difference. BUT you will NEED to degree the cam in and advance it more than the probably four degrees it calls for, plus put a good hot ignition curve in the distributor. THEN it would probably run very well.

the only change that my 318 does to a stock is 360 valves , bigger 2bbl carb , and 360 2 bbl intake ,

i can get some valve springs ,

so what do you recommend me now ? i would like to do it even it only adds 10hp , do you think it will help or that stock cam will do better?
now that you add to the story.........

Best cam for a stock 318 2bbl is a 360 2bbl cam. Find a good used one (should be free), then put new lifters with it and timing chain. IF your dead set on sticking with the factory 2bbl carb that the 318 came with, the 360 2bbl cam will off a slight increase in power, enough that if your sensitive you'll feel it to be a little stronger at shift point. Your shift point will be about 200 rpm's higher than it is now (I'm guessing you have dual exhaust).
thanks a lot , i have also a 360 , i can change the cam ,

I like your cam choice, actually. I think if you got the springs and run a good dual exhaust system, it could make a nice difference. BUT you will NEED to degree the cam in and advance it more than the probably four degrees it calls for, plus put a good hot ignition curve in the distributor. THEN it would probably run very well.
thanks for your response , as you see , i am in iran , and finding parts is so so hard and i pay about more than 4 times of the original price of each part, that's why it's so hard to get parts and i should wait about 3 months for each part . so with this circumstances do you recommend me to use my used 318 cam ? used 360 cam ? or that new summit 6901 cam ?

thanks for your response , as you see , i am in iran , and finding parts is so so hard and i pay about more than 4 times of the original price of each part, that's why it's so hard to get parts and i should wait about 3 months for each part . so with this circumstances do you recommend me to use my used 318 cam ? used 360 cam ? or that new summit 6901 cam ?

I think for the time being, if I were you, I would leave the stock cam there. Then as time and money allow, start gathering parts for the whole package.

Iran, I have run extremely similar cams. Look up Crane Cams for valve springs or Comp Cams. They have extremely similar designed cams.

That cam in a 318 is capable of 14 second 1/4 mile runs, without overdrive, 18 or better MPG's.

The cam should be coupled with the matching valve springs, a small intake manifold & 4 bbl. carb (600/650 cfm)
Headers would prove to be most useful with a 2-1/2 exhaust pipe. A compression ratio of 9.0-1 would be excellent.

It can use anstock stall converter and would do very well with 3.21/3.23 gears.

A well tuned in 4 bbl. carb will get better mileage than the 2 bbl. IF you keep your foot out of the secondary side of the carb.

Enjoy!

Iran, I have run extremely similar cams. Look up Crane Cams for valve springs or Comp Cams. They have extremely similar designed cams.

That cam in a 318 is capable of 14 second 1/4 mile runs, without overdrive, 18 or better MPG's.

The cam should be coupled with the matching valve springs, a small intake manifold & 4 bbl. carb (600/650 cfm)
Headers would prove to be most useful with a 2-1/2 exhaust pipe. A compression ratio of 9.0-1 would be excellent.

It can use anstock stall converter and would do very well with 3.21/3.23 gears.

A well tuned in 4 bbl. carb will get better mileage than the 2 bbl. IF you keep your foot out of the secondary side of the carb.

Enjoy!
my rear end is 3.21 and my gearbox is a-230 , my flywheel is for truck and my clutch disk is for truck too

Nice. Tire size should not really be bigger than 26-26-1/2 inches, or like a 235/60/15 - 245/60/15.

The truck flywheel and clutch are not really and beefier than a cars. Your not going to need an upgrade. They will work fine.

Being a manual, you could go to the next size up cam. Manuals like a little more cam than an automatic trans. Also more gear.

The above set up will make for an excellent driver with a little spirt.

Nice. Tire size should not really be bigger than 26-26-1/2 inches, or like a 235/60/15 - 245/60/15.

The truck flywheel and clutch are not really and beefier than a cars. Your not going to need an upgrade. They will work fine.

Being a manual, you could go to the next size up cam. Manuals like a little more cam than an automatic trans. Also more gear.

The above set up will make for an excellent driver with a little spirt.
yeah tire size is 225/70/15

ی.jpg

That looks exactly like my first Duster 32 years ago. Nice, real nice.

You will find yourself "Traction Limited" with those tires. But burning rubber with them will prove fun! (Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, enjoyed it a lot!)

Sorry.... I never thought of classic mopars in Iran.
there is even a 69 440 daytona or 440 cuda / challenger r/t / valiant charger / hemi powered chrysler ghia or hemi newyorkers and... i have had an article about mopars of iran in mopar action , i can show pictures of them if you like

-
Back