Stock 318 w/ 3:91. Opinions?

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
Hey all.

I've got a '73 swinger 318 with a 904 trans & 8.25 rear. I've been keeping an eye out for a sure grip unit with hopes of swapping the gears out for 3:21 (2:96 now). I figured with a basically stock 318 (4 bbl & exhaust) that the 3:21 will be a nice balance of throttle response & freeway speeds. A fellow member has a sure grip avail w/ 3:91. I was hoping to get a little feedback from anyone who has run either the 3:21's or 3:91's in a similar setup & can give some real world advice.

The Dart is not my daily driver, I don't race, I would say that "spirited" driving & cruising would probably fit for how I drive the car. I seem to be mostly light to light but I do take it on the freeway & would still like to be able to hit 70-75 MPH at a reasonable RPM. Right now I have a stock 318 w/ an upgrade to a holley 600 & dual exhaust with an x-pipe. Future upgrades include a new cam & 340 manifolds or headers and some mild head porting.

Thx in advance.

You will not regret the 3.91 they are so fun on the street and very Kool on the freeway a little high in rpm but I don't mind it now... I use to have 323 and they were all around good for traveling and long trips but the 3.91 will be extremely fun stop light to stop light I also have a 318 904 but more beefed up than ur set up

Hope this helps

Just depends on how much highway driving you do, and the DIAMETER of your rear tires.

Mine currently has Ford 3.89s. I'll wait until I "get tires," and then decide, I've also got a 3.55 and 3.70 punkin'

If you don't mind a bit of buzzing on the freeway 3.91's are great.......

Currently running 235/60/14 in the back, which are about 25".
You will be revving a bit, from the online calculator I just plugged a 25" tall tire, 3.91 gears and 65 mph into it says 3507 rpm....

I run 3.55's and I went on a 100 mile cruise today, that's about all I want. I do have another chunk and I'm going to set it up with a lower gear for the track, I might try them on the street to see what I think.

-
Back