Stock 360 HP suggestions anyone?

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am in the process of putting in a 360/727 into my 1971 dodge dart swinger. It is currently all stock. By this I mean a stock engine, stock heads, stock two barrel carburetor sitting on top of a stock two barrel intake ect. What can I do to hot rod it a "little bit." the motor and transmission work just fine, I just want to hook it up so that it looks pretty and gains a little more HP. What are my options? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help y'all!
:blob::sign3::banghead::eek:ops:

Hey y'all,

I am in the process of putting in a 360/727 into my 1971 dodge dart swinger. It is currently all stock. By this I mean a stock engine, stock heads, stock two barrel carburetor sitting on top of a stock two barrel intake ect. What can I do to hot rod it a "little bit." the motor and transmission work just fine, I just want to hook it up so that it looks pretty and gains a little more HP. What are my options? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help y'all!
:blob::sign3::banghead::eek:ops:

Headers, Eddy Performer or Weiand dual plane and 600 cfm 4 bbl. And a Elec. distributor with a good timing curve...like 16 initial and 36 total.

Yall just spent like 1200 bucks of dude's money. lol

All kidding aside, i believe this is going in a /6 car and i've never had a V8 with the thin torsion bars. If he goes the inexpensive header route i'm gonna assume he'll have to crank those bars up as to not turn 1 5/8" tubes into 3/4" tubes?

Here's what I would do. Find a pre EGR 340 intake and a Thermoquad carburetor. Convert it to a four barrel engine. Get it running and get it in TOP tune. Set a performance advance curve in the distributor. You may need lighter sprAngs. Real easy to do. You can add an appreciable amount of power to it using stock parts. I would even keep the stock manifolds for now. They can run 2 1/4" right off them. A good muffler man can make it happen on 2" outlets. I used to do it all the time. I guess Berkely, Californika? Maybe one of our Mopar brethern out that way could hook you up with an intake. I have one, but they are heavy to ship. I will sell it cheap but the shippin would kill it. I got thermoquads too, but again, maybe a member in good standing closer to you can help there too. That my 2 cents. If you get too caught up in addin this and addin that, you'll be forever before you get it runnin. Keep it simple......stupid. LOL

All kidding aside, i believe this is going in a /6 car and i've never had a V8 with the thin torsion bars. I'f he goes the inexpensive header route i'm gonna assume he'll have to crank those bars up as to not turn 1 5/8" tubes into 3/4" tubes?

naaah, my duster was a /6 car. now a V8 and a 727 , i havent touched the suspension. i have cheap *** long tube headers and they have never touched the ground. :D

naaah, my duster was a /6 car. now a V8 and a 727 , i havent touched the suspension. i have cheap *** long tube headers and they have never touched the ground. :D

Thanks Lance, that's good info for me. I've read things but you know how that goes:). Glad for some first hand advice.

Seems like there is only like 30 pounds difference tween a slant and small block...and I think the chub goes to the slant.

Thanks Lance, that's good info for me. I've read things but you know how that goes:). Glad for some first hand advice.

for every day regular driving everything is working great. when you get the bug and want to go faster, then its time to start upgrading. the /6 bars with new shocks are stiffer than one might think :D

Thanks for all the info. I'm still at a fork in the road. Too many options. Ha! Is a 600cfm eddy carb too much for a stock 360? Watch think?

And another thing.....are the stock intake manifolds good/bad. What are the thoughts on those old thangs?

And another thing.....are the stock intake manifolds good/bad. What are the thoughts on those old thangs?
For what you told us your doing they would be fine.

If you look around and maybe post some wanted ad's on this site you'll be able to put together a good working package for a reasonable cost.

-
Back