Stock 400 2 bbl compression ratio

-
Low! The one I pulled apart for my car the pistons were at least .080" if not .120" down the bore at TDC.

They were (theoretically) 8.2 to 1. That would be a perfect one where every tolerence was on the best side of perfect.

A 2bbl on a 400? OK, never seen that. On a 383, yea.

I speced mine out and it was 7.7-1 Yak piss could power that ratio.

I used the Kieth Black 240's and had the block zero decked. They have a -8cc dome from the valve pockets and with a factory open chamber head give you about 9.5 to 1 compression. These pistons require a larger than normal top ring gap so read the instructions if you use them. They are also much lighter than stock pistons. I also went with the 440source h beam rods and had the bottom end ballanced. A forged 383 crank is a good idea. It is a bolt in swap and can be had cheap. Just remember they are internally ballanced and the 400 cranks are not.

I used the Kieth Black 240's and had the block zero decked. They have a -8cc dome from the valve pockets and with a factory open chamber head give you about 9.5 to 1 compression. These pistons require a larger than normal top ring gap so read the instructions if you use them. They are also much lighter than stock pistons. I also went with the 440source h beam rods and had the bottom end ballanced. A forged 383 crank is a good idea. It is a bolt in swap and can be had cheap. Just remember they are internally ballanced and the 400 cranks are not.

Thanks everyone for your input. Mischiefdart, what formula did you use to get the 9.5 to 1 compression? I plugged in the specs on Keith Blacks website and it said 8.9 to 1 with 90 cc heads. 9.5 is what I want.

90 cc is alot of cc's.

Is milling that down a OK move to do for you?

-
Back