Stock 8 3/4 axle strength

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I did not find a search result on this so here is the question. How strong are the stock A Body 8 3/4 axles when equipped with longer studs? This is for a street car small block 4 speed stroker application and will not be using slicks or sticky rear tires. Just trying to prioritize where the $ go for now for the drivetrain.
Thanks

From my past experience, if you have a 742 case, make sure the pinion nut is torqued to 250 ft lbs. The splines on the stock axles started rolling over when I was running slicks so I got Moser alloy axles. ('72 Swinger, 2,800 lbs, '69 340, 508/292 cam and bolt-ons, 4.30 gear, 12.5 sec, haven't failed in approx. 500 runs so far)

Just run um till one breaks.

I have a set of replacements if you need them. ;)

... stock A Body 8 3/4 axles when equipped with longer studs? ...

The 4" boltcircle will probably be the weak link on the axle ends, if there is one.
I would upgrade to 4.5" first personally.
Longer studs will not increase the strength of anything, besides the fact you can now use longer nuts with more threads and thicker aluminium wheels.

you will be fine until you put slicks on it then the breakage will commence

........ How strong are the stock A Body 8 3/4 axles when equipped with longer studs? This is for a street car small block 4 speed stroker application and will not be using slicks or sticky rear tires...........

IMO and some experience, the stock axles will take a lot of abuse. The axles should be just fine for your application. However, how do you know what those old stockers have been through so far? I think I'd go ahead and press in a set of high strength studs anyway. A lot of folks didn't understand or care about torque values for lugs back in the day. You could also clean and grease the old taper bearings and check the splines on the axle for excessive wear or twist.

-
Back