Stock big block radiator cooling 700hp

-

Mrpatel

512Dart
Reaction score
Figured I would ask the question one last time before dropping $800 on a Griffin Radiator. My last motor was a 511 aluminum headed 10.55 : 1 with 20 degrees initial timing and 34 degrees total, with zero issues with cooling with my stock rad. Motor was built by muscle motors who claimed it was 625hp. My new engine is pretty much the same set up, making an extra 75 hp. Car is street driven and I have been using the stock shroud and mechanical fan. Anyone have any luck with this stock style set up cooling this much HP? Thanks Andrew

Figured I would ask the question one last time before dropping $800 on a Griffin Radiator. My last motor was a 511 aluminum headed 10.55 : 1 with 20 degrees initial timing and 34 degrees total, with zero issues with cooling with my stock rad. Motor was built by muscle motors who claimed it was 625hp. My new engine is pretty much the same set up, making an extra 75 hp. Car is street driven and I have been using the stock shroud and mechanical fan. Anyone have any luck with this stock style set up cooling this much HP? Thanks Andrew

As said before, if your rad works for your new motor then you’re good. If you need a new rad I would go contact Glen-Ray radiators..they can make what you want and it will be the exact fit and same look as factory stock AND it will be made with brass and copper guts same as Ma Mopar made them. I would take brass and copper over aluminum any day of the week. Check out their website before you drop $800 on a Griffin.
Good Luck,
318MG

Thanks, I was hoping that someone would chime in who has been successful with the stock radiator configuration. I know there are lots of other factors related to cooling. I know I can ultimately wait and see and try it, it’s the 3 to 4 weeks waiting for one afterwards that I am trying to avoid if unnecessary. Thanks for the feedback.

You should be Ok to about 450hp, so on the street that would be what? maybe 2% of the time? If you have to wait for a rad, it just means you can't floor it for 11 seconds atta time. Well maybe just once every couple of minutes or so......
I heard the roads in Ontario are the worst in the country, so will that be a hardship?
Aw, I'm just tugging on your leg, Manitoba roads are for sure the worst.... at least West of Ontario,lol.

Last edited:
-
Back