Stock Big Blocks in A bodies

-

Demonbill

Reaction score
Hi All,

Would anyone know if in 1971 there were any A bodies produced with big blocks from the factory? Would anyone be familiar with a 1971 K member part number to use a big block in an A body?

I have a 1971 Demon Plum Crazy Purple with a 440 and can get a BIG break on the insurance if they were ever made at the factory that way. (even one or two....) It becomes the esoteric difference between a stock and a modified vehicle to the insurance company.

Thanks for any assistance at all.

No A-bodies produced after 69 with a big block. I do have a 68-69 factory BB K- member for sale.

The Mr. Norm 70-up A-bodies were small blocks, some with six packs and others with superchargers.

As stated, there were no big blocks from the factory after 1969. Also, as stated, you need a new insurance company. I have never had AAA ask me whether a car I have insured with them was modified.

I would for sure change insurance companies.Mine never once asked what size engine or if its modified,and It even costs less since its an older car.

My insurance company doesn't care what I have in it for motor or how heavily modified it is. They just base the premiums on what it will cost them to replace it. We agreed on a value in the worse case senario of total loss. They even gave me a small discount for safety equipment .... my roll cage and 5 point harnesses...LOL

Thanks for all the help. I can't change insurance companies as we only have one government one here in British Columbia. I can insure the car at regular rates, but if I can get it to comply with their definition of a "collector car" (which includes an engine size produced by the factory) the insurance goes from $1500 a year to $265 a year. It doesn't sound good for me though....... Thanks again for all the input

Hi, I'm insured with the silver wheels plan in ontario. I think they have a insurance broker in BC as well. Check out the following link for specifics. http://www.pellinginsurance.com/ It should really only cost a minimal amount a year as long as you have had your license for 10 years and have another daily driver that you are insured under. Hope this helps.
$1500 a year just takes the fun out of the hobby LOL

Last time I got a classic car insurance policy I was asked if the engine/car has been modified. I don't know what the cost impact was (it was modified) but it still seemed reasonable to me (well under $1k/yr)

Put a small block stroker in it and dress it out like a stock 340. They'll never know the difference. Or change to a 68-69 model and go with the big motor.

-
Back