Stock exhaust needs a swap

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Hello slant 6ers. Running my 66 dart now to an from work. So far so good. the current exhaust, I assume, is the stock setup. 1 7/8 pipe at manifold then 1 3/4 at the tail.
The muffler might even be original, though doesnt appear to be 50 years old. Sound is weak so it must be doing it's job. no leaks.
I am curious about just cutting out the old muffler and putting in a FLowmaster or something with a little noise. But all these new mufflers seems to be much larger input/outputs and the overall size makes me unsure as to how it would easily swap in/out. Is there a trusted new muffler that will use the same footprint? same mounting hangar. yet give me some cool farty tones? I don't want to have to remove the existing pipe from manifold down to muffler. going from muffler to tail I suppose it doesnt really matter. me and my sawzall are awaiting your ideas...

exhaust - 1 (1).jpg

exhaust - 1.jpg

We have dual exhaust and 2" duals from front to rear on our slant.... Dynomax super turbo. They are somewhat quiet at idle, but roar when you wind it up...

You should be able to find a Dynomax with that 'footprint' to fit in place of the old one...

Farty toness are not cool, not cool, not cool.If you modify your car to make farty sounds I will reach through the screen and crush your tailpipe. Then I will fold it over,and crush it again.And then I will hide your sawzall.And then I will withdraw my arm, dust it off, and finish my breakfast.

Still getting ready for the swap. The tail pipe portion is clamped onto the old muffer, and the pipe looks pretty old. I wonder has anyone found a premade pipe that will replace? Like I ran across this Walker 45841 says it is for a Ford Ranger from the 80s-90s. Looks real similar to the shape I need. Anyone? Oh and it is like $25 shipped.

Ok so I am done. Quite a chore trying to get new muffler to line up with the existing exhaust. The original exhaust had a slight slant to the inlet, so I had to cut it 2 times. Finally able to get the angle of the muffler, now seems a little lower than the old muffler. What should the clearance be to the road? Any how I took the trouble to make a short YouTube clip that shows original exhaust, no exhaust and then the new Dynomax muffler. All with the original pipes. (1.75). Used a bunch of clamps, mostly sealed except the one where the clamp also has to hold the exhaust bracket. I borrowed the hand tail pipe cutter from Oreillys. Fun little tool . Here is the link

That sounds good. Glad you got it together. Are you happy?
Thanks for the video as I've been planning a 2-1/4 system with Dynomax Superturbo from day one in my 64 225. I can't bend pipe but I can buy some mandrel bent tubing and cut and weld it together. I have the puny original intact to use as a pattern.

-
Back