Stock stamped rockers

-

65Valiant_NC

Reaction score
I'm sure it has been on here before at some point but what lift and spring pressure can a stock stamped LA rocker take?

If you have a new good set they will handle up to 300 lb on the nose. And I have run 500 lift many times after 500 Plus you take the chance of the pushrod having contact with the side of the cup and beginning to pull the push rod out of the cup they used to make aftermarket stamp steel Rocker with a larger cup just for that reason but I haven't seen those in many years.

then you use a pushrod with a real ball or other shape not just a swedged end
as I said above use hollow pushrods to oil the cup or adjuster ball (or cup which is the better choice)
reusing a lifter and pushrod with higher lift puts tremendous pressure on the old wear ridge and is a major source of failure
you also have to get the stem height and or the shaft height correct so there is no interference (also stem seal etc- lots more attention to detail when you get into the over .500 lift range
but hey- you need to check everything as even valve grinds can change the rocker angles
.525 or .550 ca be made to work but I've only done .550 where stock rockers were required and not on the street
Iron rockers are easier

RPM is what killed them for me. Usually when I reved it to the 7000 range, one of those stamped rockers would $#!T the bed. This was with a .484 cam and 300# nose pressure springs.

yep high rpm flings the oil off so the rocker cups lack enough oil, get hot and push through
oil through the pushrods helps if you have to use stock rockers
IDK if the hd ones are available you have to measure the thickness and maybe Rockwell check

There is a shop called OE pushrod. Talk to Don. They make heavy duty stamped rockers. He is also the supplier for most of the aftermarket push rods that the other guys sell and they put there name on them. He can answer your questions.

There is a shop called OE pushrod. Talk to Don. They make heavy duty stamped rockers. He is also the supplier for most of the aftermarket push rods that the other guys sell and they put there name on them. He can answer your questions.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

I've actually been to the shop & got a tour. Nice place. Can't say here who he makes the parts for. But it's all the big aftermarket camshaft guys.

He is actually a big Mopar guy. Get him talking Chrysler and you have a friend for life. :)

-
Back