Stock Style Oil Pans, Which Ones Best?

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Given the option to run either a reproduction BB A-body oil pan or a Hemi pan which would be the better option of the two? This is for a stock appearing stroker A-body drag car. There is some leeway in what pan I can use, just no monster sump stuff that hangs WELL BELOW the K-frame. Oil control is of high priority.

BB A-body
mancini-racing-1967-1969-a-body-big-block-oil-pan-893-32.jpeg

mancini-racing-1967-1969-a-body-big-block-oil-pan-893-33.jpeg

VS Hemi
2001133.jpg

2001133b.jpg

The Hemi pan seems to have the bigger notch for the idler arm. Does it have a Hemi price tag? The 187 C body pan is also a good choice.

First pan is a factory big block A-body reproduction. Idler arm should have no trouble clearing it.

I bought the hemi pan from 440Source, very thick steel. Unfortunately, my steering did not clear the corner of the notch and I needed to persuade it with a sledge hammer. I'm running a direct connection 73+ A body big block spool k member with B/C body factory spool mounts and 73+ steering and there was about an 1/8" interference. Once the corner was massaged, the rest of the notch gave it enough room.

I have the 440source hemi pan as well. Needed a wack from the hammer to clear. I’d go with the first one pictured

-
Back