Stock vs stroker video

-
I liked it. I didn't think the cost analysis (sp?) was spot on. Actually, thought it was way off.

The cost of turning your crank, bearings, and hanging your slugs on the rods is a lot cheaper than a rotating assembly even if you have to purchase new rods.
My 360 (Just did it.) was a $1500 short block. It included a hone and cam bearings.
(Yea, OK, I got lazy...)

I liked it. I didn't think the cost analysis (sp?) was spot on. Actually, thought it was way off.

The cost of turning your crank, bearings, and hanging your slugs on the rods is a lot cheaper than a rotating assembly even if you have to purchase new rods.
My 360 (Just did it.) was a $1500 short block. It included a hone and cam bearings.
(Yea, OK, I got lazy...)

I think they mentioned adding mallory for internally balancing the 360 and buying new rods. Of course if you're buying a whole new bottom end, the price difference is a wash. Most people building 360s would be reusing crank and rods though I'd imagine, like you did. Too bad they didn't mention that.

Any idea why they used two valve cover gaskets on the stroker? Rocker clearance?

Good question. I have not run into any clearance issues with rockers. I always used the MP valve covers.

Baffles in the MP covers are very close to the roof of the cover.
Those are Mr. Gaskets covers. I never had them.

Pretty cool video !
Thanks for sharing !!
Still not bad for a mild 360 !!
Nothing trick on either engine .
With some head work I think both
Engines would greatly benefit
Greatly !!

Yea! That stroker runs pretty OK for a 177 head. A nice 225 would let it sing.

...am i reading that correctly?
Does the 360 outperform the 410 in both HP and Torque above 6000 rpm?

...am i reading that correctly?
Does the 360 outperform the 410 in both HP and Torque above 6000 rpm?
No, you have it reversed. The 360 hangs on to the high rpm hp longer than the stroker does. But is down on hp until that level at approximately 5800 where the stroker falls off and the stock stroke carries on longer. Short stroke engines tend to do this. Hold high hp levels longer.
But nothing is in stone.

Last edited:
Well, I have to hand it to Moper.
That 410 is basically the same as mine.
Same displacement, heads, cam, intake, rods, cast crank, and static CR...maybe same Wiseco 20cc dish pistons, they never said.
Same oil pan even..
Different carb, different headers, water pump...
He helped me pick the combination of parts, and predicted 425hp...but his and other's guesses on torque were a little higher.
Wish I could sort out the issues I'm having with either the carb, ignition system, or worst case, a flat cam lobe. (Falling on it's face about 3800rpm under certain conditions, like stabbing it from a 30mph roll or prolonged WOT.)
I want to ride ALL those horses!

They did leave out the $550 PRICE of balancing the cast crank, I think if I did it again I would pay more for a forged crank that would take less mallory, hense less cost to balance,and probably be more worth the money.

Last edited:
$1500 worth of stroker parts didn't really buy that much.....8hp & 31tq

Jeff

Those are peak numbers. Look at the area under the curve. It looked like a good amount of torque to me. Open up the heads and feed it more camshaft to really see the disparity.

...might be hard to get any traction with the stroker on street tires...maybe the 360 would be a little quicker on the street?

With the 360, you'd need more gear and converter to match the stroker on the street or track.

360 with 3.91 and 410 with 3.54 would be a pretty decent match.

Had a 408 with some work to E heads and a voodoo 268 make 475hp and 500tq

Stock ede heads choke the crap out of any SB wanting to make some steam. Would have run harder with a set of 2.02 indy x heads. Probably closer to 475+ hp and 500tq

With the 360, you'd need more gear and converter to match the stroker on the street or track.

360 with 3.91 and 410 with 3.54 would be a pretty decent match.

Had a 408 with some work to E heads and a voodoo 268 make 475hp and 500tq

Stock ede heads choke the crap out of any SB wanting to make some steam. Would have run harder with a set of 2.02 indy x heads. Probably closer to 475+ hp and 500tq

A friend had a 408 in a '69 Dart and got mostly tire spin in any gear unless he was careful.
i was thinking "quicker" on street tires.No question,the 408 would be faster and more powerful

Remember how often your at 6k plus rpm on the street too, that 408 would be way more drivable, and as mentioned, if it had more head on it, it could really make more top end HP also

What I'd like to see, is a build of 2 engines, say at 320 cubic inches, one with a large bore, like 4.100 and whatever stroke to end up at 320, and the other with a small bore and a long stroke to also be 320 inches, with the exact camshaft and heads, intake carb ect....

$1500 worth of stroker parts didn't really buy that much.....8hp & 31tq

Jeff
On one hand Jeff, I see your point. I think the value is in the lower to mid RPM area. That, will be very noticeable while driving.

-
Back