Stop Fuel Leak

-

kybatman

The Original Bruce Wayne!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
guys,

replaced my fuel tank during my restoration and the tank filler neck seal.

a few weeks ago i put about 20.00 ( little over half tank ) worth of gas in it and proceeded to get a leak around the new seal.

manually removed about 5 gallons and the leak stopped.

Is there anything that i can use to seal this location that will not leak again or ??

makes me wonder if the location of the filler tube hole may be off since the tank is a repop.

Thanks for you suggestions and input.

Bruce

Same problem. I used two gaskets coated first with grease and sealed right up.

If you used a aftermarket tank ring there is your problem.

Ima guessing It's leaking around the filler-pipe?The new seals the tank manufacturer sends along, seldom work.
If possible reuse the old one,but clean the filler pipe first.The pipe needs to be rust free,and smooth,from the lower-most end to the sealing area and about an inch higher. Further, the used seal most also be oxidation free,at both sealing surfaces;inner and outer. Silicon grease is the best lube I have found,to help the pipe slide in.

As alluded to,the rubber sealing washer at the sender,requires a good amount of pressure from the pressure ring,to prevent leakage. Again reuse the old parts if they are serviceable; both the rubber and the metal ring. They are kindof a matched set.

You're gonna need a lot more tire.A LOT,more! heehee. 245s are just barely adequate for the front, but they are really hard to fit there on 15s. 275/60s are just barely adequate for the rear. As it is; stay off the gas around corners in first gear at least!If it bang-shifts in the turn, and breaks loose,you could be cutting a donut; surprise!If you are really on it, you will be up on the curb in a hurry.As other motorists around you, passing by, give you all kinds of hand signals.....Very embarrassing.
Oh wait that was me :(

guys,

replaced my fuel tank during my restoration and the tank filler neck seal.

a few weeks ago i put about 20.00 ( little over half tank ) worth of gas in it and proceeded to get a leak around the new seal.

manually removed about 5 gallons and the leak stopped.

Is there anything that i can use to seal this location that will not leak again or ??

makes me wonder if the location of the filler tube hole may be off since the tank is a repop.

Thanks for you suggestions and input.

Bruce

I have some OEM Mopar lock rings, to solve that problem. PM me..
See here.. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=336553

I'm assuming it's leaking at the sender. The seal between the sender and tank was loose on mine so I just put in two seals.

This is so gonna be me..thanks for the laugh..and it is the filler tube that is leaking not the sending unit..

OLD seal was way gone, smooth prepped the tank and the tube and lubed with white grease prior.

:(

Bruce

You're gonna need a lot more tire.A LOT,more! heehee. 245s are just barely adequate for the front, but they are really hard to fit there on 15s. 275/60s are just barely adequate for the rear. As it is; stay off the gas around corners in first gear at least!If it bang-shifts in the turn, and breaks loose,you could be cutting a donut; surprise!If you are really on it, you will be up on the curb in a hurry.As other motorists around you, passing by, give you all hinds of hand signals.....Very embarrassing.
Oh wait that was me :(

-
Back