Storage of rebuilt 340 engine

-

72dart

Mopa
Reaction score
I have a 1970 340 engine that is seized up and I am thinking of taking it to a shop to see if it is rebuildable. If I have it overhauled, can I store it for a long period of time without damage? I now have a 340 Demon with a stout engine but was thinking of keeping the seized engine for a spare or may decide to sell it at a later time.

soak it all down in wd 40 or marvels mystery oil let it sit a week l and dee if u can turn the crankwith the plugs out and soakthe pistons good for a week pull the valve covers too soak all that down just see if u can turn the motor a little bit by hand
GL HOPE U CAN SAVE IT

I have a 1970 340 engine that is seized up and I am thinking of taking it to a shop to see if it is rebuildable. If I have it overhauled, can I store it for a long period of time without damage? I now have a 340 Demon with a stout engine but was thinking of keeping the seized engine for a spare or may decide to sell it at a later time.

i would take it apart down to the shortblock and let the shop do the rest. get the block serviced at the same time. when you are ready to use it, then put it together. if it is seized, i wouldnt even bother trying to spin it, let the machine shop do it.

To free up what you got, pour a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in each spark plug hole. Pull the valve covers and pour the rest of the oil over the rocker arms and let it drain down into the oil pan. Let it sit for a week or so and then try to turn it over with a breaker bar. The soaking should loosen it up enough for disassembly. For long term storage after the rebuild, make sure the rocker arms are loosened enough to take the load off the valve springs. I had a new rebuild with a dead cylinder once because it sat so long and a valve spring lost tension. :banghead:

If it is seized why not just oil in down and leave it until you are ready to use it?

if you have it built and store it, make sure u use a moly grease or heavy assembly lube on everything, a light coat of cosmoline on the cyl walls and motor oil on the rings 'dip them piston, rings and all' and keep it wrapped in plastic and in a dry place. you dnt want condensation getting to it...for instance, if the wife dont mind...keep it in the corner of the living room or by ur bed side. ;) lol

.... and leave the rocker shafts un-torqued so the cylinders are all sealed.

Here's an oppinion you have not heard yet.

Don't build it until you need it, or build it and put it in right away.
Warantee will go away if it sits, and you will have no recourse.

-
Back