Stories or Heritage of your mopar.

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread for you guys to post stories or the heritage of your mopars.

I just recently finished a father son project with my dad restoring my 1971 dodge demon. now as the car itself doesnt have much history the engine thats in it makes for a great conversation. When i bought the car the guy i bought it from had a 69 340 engine that came with the car. and he told me that it came out of a 65' plymouth fury he bought and when he got the fury home and opened the trunk, it was full of straw. so i talked to him about it and said he took the 340 out when he sold the fury. and i ended up meeting another mopar guy who knew the 340 engine and the fury it came out of and low and behold it was his brother and he said he would run 1000 pds of moonshine in the trunk of that fury. Cool stuff.

:happy1:

A guy in Huntsville bought it brand new, drove to Cali and back, didn't like it, traded it in. My grandfather traded in a 62 VW for it, and it was driven until about 86 I think. I got it in 07, fixed it up with my dad for 3 years until I could drive it, and now have been driving it every summer since 2010. This spring was the first time I've torn into it since I got it running. New sound deadener, rebuilt engine, new rear end, discs all around, and because my dad didn't listen to me and drain the fluid after a bunch of rainstorms, we rebuilt the transmission a second time.

My '74 Duster first owner was the Washington State Police. It was a "undercover" car that I am told was used in the Tacoma area for many years as a "bar car" back when it was new. The police would use it as a radio car and sit at bars and wait for the people to leave then the police would call in drunk drivers. The car was all that deep metallic avacado green and had almost no options on it at all.... except on the build sheet it shows "special order" for disc brakes. I dont know why that was special to it... anyways... its told that all the ding and dents that were in the car were from bar patrons getting used to seeing the car and started figuring out it belonged to the po-po. So when the cops were not in it they bar patrons threw bottles and rocks and small fury creatures at it. So... they sold the car off to the public which went to my best friend grandpa who owned it many years until 1986 when he gave the car to my best friend. My buddy drove the car for almost two years when some old bat bashed into the driver side front fender while she was backing out. It only bent the fender up and well... insurance was going to take the car. I told my buddys dad to buy the car back and I would give them the money for it. (me needing a good high school car) So I was able to get the car for $475 bucks and at the time I was making monthly payments of $100 on it to him. Well..... Christmas came around and I got a present from them and in it was the keys and title to the car. I had only paid $275 bucks for it. Sooo I drove that car for years with the little slant six in it... 290K miles on the clock and the slant gave up a rod. So it was time to start building the car. Oooodles of dollars and years later it still sits in my garage. It has survived my high school career, a divorce, me just having a love hate relationship with it and lots of other things... but thats all to say 24 years later its still mine...... police radio holes under the dash and all....

-RPM

-
Back