storing motor

-

jacksdodges

jacksdodges
Reaction score
I have a 360 crate motor with about 2000 miles on it. Totaled the truck , Now my question is how to store it till I find another ride. It may take awhile. It will still be in the truck.

Just drain or run the fuel out of the carb and lines, throw a loose cover over it and there ya go.
Some people get enthusiastic and wrap them, but this can cause sweating and then rust.

I like to loosen all the rocker arm shaft bolts. This allows all the valves to close preventing moisture getting in some of the cylinders. Also, if it has hydraulic lifters, it will not keep the valve spring pushing it flat for months and months. I also like to put oil in the spark plug holes, and put rags in the exhaust holes. You can even put your used oil in the motor every time you change oil until its "full". Depends how long is long....

x2 ^ seal it ip as best you can, and there are fogging products at marine shops that are designed to guard against condensation damage and stuff. Fog it, shut it down, back off the rocker shaft bolts, put a tag on the carb saying "rockers loose", and seal up any holes against critters.

x2 ^ seal it ip as best you can, and there are fogging products at marine shops that are designed to guard against condensation damage and stuff. Fog it, shut it down, back off the rocker shaft bolts, put a tag on the carb saying "rockers loose", and seal up any holes against critters.

x2 fog it with ATF in a spray bottle.

-
Back