Storing your car on sand?!?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
So I go to store my car for the winter, and I found a place close by for $35.00 a month. It seemed like a deal, and it was in a real nice large shed.
When I go there he opened the door and the the ground had about 6" of sand in it. So I'm thinking WTF?? I ask the guy why there was so much sand, he said that his wife use to train her horses in that very shed. He was now divorced, so now he's storing cars in it. The sand was really clean and all, and he had a HUGE record collection that was just sitting there on tables so it must stay pretty dry in there.

Has anyone ever heard of parking there car in sand for the winter??

Thanks!

Attachments

• 3n43k23md5O55Q15U2abb8e4d7bb066b01854.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 3ne3m43pd5V55Z15S0abbe5c84fcf4ebb1b67.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 443
I think it might be ok. I store some cars on a dirt floor, I put a sheet of plastic (no holes) down on the ground that is a little bigger than the car, then big sheets of cardboard on top of it, then drive the car on it. In the winter I go there to check on them and lift the plastic, underneath is ice from moisture, so I know the plastic helps. We actually do this all year long with the cars that are stored on a dirt floor.

Mine sits in some sand over the winter... but then again I live in FLA :toothy10:

Packer Backer here (wifes from GBay).... ARodgers is making BFavre almost forgettable. Go Pack

Yea, I think Rodgers was better last year... He has more interceptions, and has been throwing to people that don't really exist. I think it might be receivers running wrong routes or something? Other then the game against the Cowboys, they've been sputtering.

Favre, you live and die by that guy. He does some amazing things, but he'll lose games for you too. One thing you gotta say, he never gives up.

Anyhow... It seemed like $35.00 was a pretty good deal. I saw other places for over $100.00. I just didn't know how sand would affect the cars, but like I say, If he has his record collection in there, it must stay pretty dry.

long as it stays dry, i'm sure if horses were in there they weren't around in the mud. 2 of my cars sit in kind of dirt/broken concrete floor but more less dirt for the winters and no problems

My biggest concern is the building well ventilated? I stored my cars in a pole barn once that was cheap and when it warmed during the day all the cars in the building would sweat.

don't forget the Desiccant Bags!!! all that internal material needs to remain dry!! Otherwise the car will smell funky and the mold and fungus will begin to consume your interior

don't forget the Desiccant Bags!!! all that internal material needs to remain dry!! Otherwise the car will smell funky and the mold and fungus will begin to consume your interior
You could also get the flower drying dessicant tubs too! X2 on the tarp thing. Better safe than sorry

Tell him to pile it up in to a hill and I will be there to drag race up it on my white Raptor.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H9I5FSkwsc"]YouTube - quad hill race[/ame]

I would think if it was a thick enough base it would be fine without parking on a tarp. A friend parked his car in his parents dirt floor garage. Came back several years later to find the car with some serious rust issues, but the garage was within eye sight of Lake Michigan

I would think if it was a thick enough base it would be fine without parking on a tarp. A friend parked his car in his parents dirt floor garage. Came back several years later to find the car with some serious rust issues, but the garage was within eye sight of Lake Michigan
the GT has has been parked in the same spot on dirt for 5 years and it is rotting at the lower quarters and the rear subframe connector. Before, it was a rust free cali car without a single speck of rust.

You'll probably have less flat spot issues w/ your tires, since the sand will give you a larger contact patch.

Parking in a dry building on sand may be an ideal situation for storing a car... The sand itself acts as a desiccant absorbing moisture. I wouldn't put a tarp under the car.

If it's real riding ring sand, it's perfect. Just stick some dryer sheets in it to keep the furries out and it's good. If you were on the shore I might be concerned but I think you're perfect.

What else is going in there? Is he trying to fill it with rentals? What I mean is; what if your car is damaged while it's in there?

I was kinda wondering about that myself.......who else is going to have access to that place, and when? Will you be able to get the car out when you want to? Is there proper insurance, security etc.........
Daryl

Parking in a dry building on sand may be an ideal situation for storing a car... The sand itself acts as a desiccant absorbing moisture. I wouldn't put a tarp under the car.

In theory, but you need to have the air circulating. sand will filter the buildup down to the lower level, but if there is no escape it will perc up back through the upper layers. You need to have air movement to keep the surface dry. It doesn't look like the building has any means of circulation. If your going to use this space, I would park it on a raised plywood stand and have a small fan to keep thing moving. Don't button down the car to tight.
I hope your not looking for to gain a few extra horses by parking it there. lol

-
Back