Story of my life. Filled the tank and the fuel pump went out.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
At least it's only 32 gallons. lol. This should be fun. My wife wants her Bronco back on the road.

IMG_0071.JPG

You were just able to buy 32 gallons of gas and your complaining?

I used to repair gas tanks, you would not believe how many people would fill it up so you can find the leak.

Yep this happend on my wifes old 99 suburban. It had a tow package with a 40 gallon tank. I always hated that damn thing. Anyways pump craps out with a full tank. Truck is nosed in at a parking lot pointed downhill against a parking curb. I need to back it out to attach my tow cord to it. I put gasoline in a windex bottle and removed the air cleaner. Then i had her crank it over while i kept squirtin fuel in it, once started, i had her slowly back it out while i walked next to it until we had it where i could tow strap it and pull it home. Full tank, i syphoned maybe 10 gallons out, then i welded an old john deere plow disc to the cup of my floor jack to support the tank so i could get it down to change the pump.

I use an old (80's) EFI Subaru Fuel Pump to empty tanks for pump replacement. It'll drain a 35 Gallon tank in a short period of time (make sure you have enough gas cans sitting around, lol)

John deer plow disc?? Any pics of it??
Nope i dont. I cut the tack welds back off it when i was done, and put it back where i normally keep it. Its the lid to my backyard fire pit, however in case you dont know what a plow disc is, these are the round curved discs on a farming implement farmers pull behind their tractors to make the furrows to plant their crops.

That subie pump is a great idea, unfortunately i only had 2 five gallon gas cans so that was all i could remove. Other car had a full tank so i couldent "tank up"

It's been my experience that fuel pump generally go bad (or quit) right after a fill up.
Your pump was on its way out. Usually there are hot spots on the motor winding and when the pump stopped, it landed on one of those spots.
I have no way to back this up, but I my theory is that cold fuel hitting a hot pump just speeds up the process.
You can generally bang on the bottom of the tank with a mallet and get the pump running again. It's not a permanent fix, but can get you moving for a short time. If the problem is bad enough, this won't work.

To drain the tank, buy a cheap universal pump at NAPA, and about 10' of rubber hose, hook it to a battery and siphon the tank.
The best $40 bucks I ever spent to drain gas tanks.
Plus the electric goes out here alot, so I keep my old car tanks full, for fuel for the generator.
And my wife also has a bad habit of running all her cars on empty, which will kill an electric fuel pump.

-
Back