strange fan

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever seen a fan with a larger hole in the center.....any idea what this came off?

I was going to switch the 4 blade fan on my slant to a fan with more blades from an A/C car.

To my surprise the 4 blade fan has a bigger center hole than the bigger fan and this is the first I have ever seen a large hole fan. Could it have come from a later car ??? anyone ever seen one like this before??

Attachments

• CIMG4590.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 345
  • CIMG4592.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 378
  • CIMG4591.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 333
  • CIMG4593.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 326
  • CIMG4589.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 322
  • CIMG4588.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 313
new one by me, if I had to guess I would say that's not a mopar fan, judging by the ribs going up the blades

nice new screen name BTW

new one by me, if I had to guess I would say that's not a mopar fan, judging by the ribs going up the blades

nice new screen name BTW

you could be on to something because I pulled another 4 blade from another car and the blades are even shaped different ....I got the spacer off which I thought was part of the pulley at first .....and thanks

Attachments

• CIMG4599.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 307
  • CIMG4598.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 295
  • CIMG4597.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 301
now I got the A/C fan bolted on and I had to find some short fan bolts which did not go go all the way through the water pump flange which I am not sure if that is a problem.

I do not have a spacer so I put the fan right on the pulley (again I am not sure if this is wrong)

It ended up a little over two inches from the radiator, I didn't even think to measure the old on there.

Apparently 18 inch radiators did not come with shrouds because there is no where to bolt a shroud to so my next upgrade will probably be to a 22 inch radiator with matching shroud.

Attachments

• CIMG4603.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 288
  • CIMG4601.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 294
  • CIMG4600.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 290
  • CIMG4605.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 282
They did make a 19" shroud, but they're pretty hard to come buy. Pretty sure they were only on Baracuda models, but they did exist.

now I got the A/C fan bolted on and I had to find some short fan bolts which did not go go all the way through the water pump flange which I am not sure if that is a problem.

I do not have a spacer so I put the fan right on the pulley (again I am not sure if this is wrong)

It ended up a little over two inches from the radiator, I didn't even think to measure the old on there.

Apparently 18 inch radiators did not come with shrouds because there is no where to bolt a shroud to so my next upgrade will probably be to a 22 inch radiator with matching shroud.

Did any slant 6 cars have fan shrouds? The ones that I've seen haven't, but I haven't paid that close of attention to them.

My old v-8's used the 7 blade fan.

The more blades to the fan, the more air it can push.

The slants that I've seen, usually have the 4 blade fan...

The flathead that was in my 46 plymouth had the same fan with the big hole in the center, it didn't have the spacer though.

75 Duster slant with AC

7 blade with spacer and shroud

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 157
Slant 6 without AC had 4-blade fixed fan and no shroud. 18" radiator.

Slant 6 with AC/ 318 without AC had 7-blade flex fan, shroud and 22" radiator.

318 with AC had 7-blade flex fan, shroud and 26" radiator.

360 with AC had 7-blade clutch fan, shroud and 26" radiator.

May be some variables with cars having HD cooling options but I've never seen a non-AC Slant have a shroud or overflow bottle.

-
Back