Strange issue with uneven wear on pads.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
This not an issue with my dart but it is getting annoying on my pick up truck. I had some squeaking coming from my brakes so I threw some new pads on. Everything went smoothly. Pistons compressed fine and the slide bolts move freely. I get in the truck to head over to a friends and I notice a burning smell when I get there. I pulled the wheel off and noticed the outside inch on the rotor was heated up but nothing else. I pulled the pad back off and about an inch of it was worn while the rest still looked brand new. This was after about a 5 mile drive. Any ideas on what would cause this? I circled the part that heated up on this picture.

IMG_5014.jpg

Your caliper could be bad. Probably slipped somehow a bit sideways

Your caliper could be bad. Probably slipped somehow a bit sideways

It did look to be in a slightly different position than the drivers side but I never touched the caliper mounting bracket or bolt. I returned the pads and got a new set today so hopefully it was a bad pad.

That's likely due to a cocked pad, either due to an improper install or the caliper not straddling the rotor correctly, or possibly a bent pad. Just think about it a bit and it will all make sense.
The pad wasn't just touching in one area, it was NOT touching in the rest of the area. That cannot happen unless something is mechanically wrong. And surely you would have noticed a bent pad prior to the install, as the pads are usually shipped face to face.Even if not shipped that way, it is common practice to check them that way.

That's likely due to a cocked pad, either due to an improper install or the caliper not straddling the rotor correctly, or possibly a bent pad. Just think about it a bit and it will all make sense.
The pad wasn't just touching in one area, it was NOT touching in the rest of the area. That cannot happen unless something is mechanically wrong. And surely you would have noticed a bent pad prior to the install, as the pads are usually shipped face to face.Even if not shipped that way, it is common practice to check them that way.

I had a brain fart and swapped the pads around. Pulled the caliper off today and flipped them around and all is well.

-
Back