Strange noise from Engine compartment

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Its a 2004 supercharged Mini Cooper S . When driving it makes this noise sparratically not often. Mostly a few seconds after you shut it off like in this video . Its coming from the passenger side engine compartment front of engine. Here is a video . The noise is at 12 on the video . Sounds like a Buzz on the video. But in person it is extremely loud and sounds like metal on metal. Its my Daughters car and any help is appreciated. Thanks Steve

New video by Brandi Kiss

Oil is full.Dropped the oil pan today and checked the bearings all are fine. Oil pressure is good. Also pulled the valve cover and inspected the valve springs . Everything in the top looks good. Car runs good. I was told to check the boost controller. I'll do that tomorrow.
The car just started making this noise and its driving her crazy. Motorcycles and cars, She does all her own work but turned to me to help her with this problem. Thanks Steve.

DSCF1201.JPG

Gotta love kids who aren't afraid to get thier hands dirty

Is the boost controller stock or an aftermarket speed part ?

Does it have a boost gauge ?

It almost sounds like a diverted valve chattering, but that's a VW thing, I don't even know if minis have those...but I bet they have a blow off valve

I would check the vacuum line on that

blow off valve? i know the OE ones are plastic and prone to wacky failures and sounds.

i had one that the power steering pump was going south on and would make a weird noise on shutdown.

can you post up a better video of the sound?

blow off valve? i know the OE ones are plastic and prone to wacky failures and sounds.

i had one that the power steering pump was going south on and would make a weird noise on shutdown.

can you post up a better video of the sound?
I'll have her get it to make the noise with the hood open. You need to get it warmed up then it usually does it when shutting it off. She has another Mini for parts. She is going to take the Supercharger and the boost controller from that car which was replaced. She wants to install them when she does a timing chain and water pump. Her words were " Its an easy job ". And while the engines down , "New Clutch". I thought selling it would be the best option. Mentioned it and it almost brought tears to her eyes.

word. keep at it, i'm sure the solution is something that's straight forward and just being overlooked.

on a related note, watch out for a bad balancer. a friend had one that another shop did an alternator on-- it was a solid diagnosis and repair, but it turns out the balancer was bad and took out the alternator. so i got to do a balancer and another alt for him. fun times.

-
Back