Strange timing bracket. Application?

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found this today while sorting through one of my parts boxes. I think it came from a 273, or perhaps an old 318 A motor, but I can't recall. All I know is it bolts to the bottom of the water pump. Is it even used for setting timing?
20161113_180134.jpg
View attachment 1714989421

20161113_180059.jpg

Yes used by chrysler deakers back in the day by an allen scope to find top dead center.

Looks like a later slant six pointer.

Yes used by chrysler deakers back in the day by an allen scope to find top dead center.
On a small block, would it take the place of the pre-69 timing tab? Or would it have been used on 70 and up styles? I can see it getting in the way of the earlier timing marks.
Looks like a later slant six pointer.
I've never had any slant 6 parts, but it could certainly have come my way mixed in with other stuff I've procured.

Thanks, guys. At least I know which pile it goes in now.

Good thinking!
Just make sure your timing cover has the calibrated marks on it and that your balancer has a TRUE TDC mark on it;the timing light will do the rest.I put timing tapes on my balancers to help with setting the valve lash; it just makes it go a lil faster.

Good thinking!
Just make sure your timing cover has the calibrated marks on it and that your balancer has a TRUE TDC mark on it;the timing light will do the rest.I put timing tapes on my balancers to help with setting the valve lash; it just makes it go a lil faster.

He said it's going in a pile. :D

and here I thought it was a doomaflatchie for the whatchamcallit that goes over the thingamajiggy...

He said it's going in a pile. :D
Yep. Unless I can make this work... pre-68 tabs are hard to find, but big block bolt-on tabs are cheap and available. I'm gonna buy one, cut the bracket off, and weld the timing part to my bracket. I think the balancers are the same diameter. If it doesn't work, I'm only out 10-15 bucks.

Piles turn into heaps, and heaps into mounds and mounds into foothills and then into mountains
I have seen some nice looking piles, and sweeter after I got married......
Some piles are worth re-examining from time to time,just to see what you mightof accidently missed,and that you can still make use of.

Yep. Unless I can make this work... pre-68 tabs are hard to find, but big block bolt-on tabs are cheap and available. I'm gonna buy one, cut the bracket off, and weld the timing part to my bracket. I think the balancers are the same diameter. If it doesn't work, I'm only out 10-15 bucks.

Should work fine as long as you verify and mark TDC on everything as you go.

If you have a dial-back timing-lite, and are not running a CDI, then you can make any combination of parts work.All you need is a TDC mark, and you can reference that anywhere that's convenient.

The only reason for all this is I'm putting together a '68 340, and it would be nice to have the timing marks in the "correct" place. I have the pre-70 style balancer, but all my chain covers are the newer style. I believe discharger 1332 still has a '68 cover for sale w/o the tab, which is the piece I haven't been able to find yet.

Just relocate the slot in the balancer..
Or if more convenient, relocate the TDC mark on the cover;piece of cake, and ZERO dollars. Unless you are looking to be year correct.
I myself have a 71 engine in a 68 chassis, with IIRC a 73 cover,a 70up Milodon waterpump, and unknown year Saginaw p/s pump.
I think the cast-in tabs began in 68, with the last year of the bolt-on tabs being 67. I think. But it really matters not. Listen; erip-erip-erip. That's the sound of the hacksaw;erip-erip-erip......lol

Last edited:
-
Back