Strange Turn Signals/Brake Lights??

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so i have a 68 dart that when i got it the left turn signal didn't work but all other lights did. so i converted the p/s dart to manual steering with the correct column and box. i checked the wires from the plugs and they were both the same. so i was driving tonite and noticed that when i hit the brakes both front turn signals come on?? haha like brake lights on the front. all the lights still work and so do the turn signals?
any ideas?

the only place where the brake light current can connect to the front fixtures in in the signal switch.

hmm. noticed another thing. it only happens when i have my running or head lights on? turn signals stop if u hit the brakes with the lights on

check your bulbs in the rear and the front. believe it or not, some times the 1156 bulb can be forced into the 1157 socket, when this happens, voltage/current will disrupt the circuit operations. inother words, when you apply the brakes, current/voltage will back feed all the way to the front turn signals/parking lights. [has happened to me before on a students 71 demon] many years ago!

I agree, check the bulbs for the proper ones and to see if they are installed properly. I would also check the ground connections at all the bulbs.

so i have a 68 dart that when i got it the left turn signal didn't work but all other lights did. so i converted the p/s dart to manual steering with the correct column and box. i checked the wires from the plugs and they were both the same. so i was driving tonite and noticed that when i hit the brakes both front turn signals come on?? haha like brake lights on the front. all the lights still work and so do the turn signals?
any ideas?

Mine is kinda doing the same thing.

Without the lights on, the rear lights come on when you hit the brakes.

With the lights on, the right light goes out

both rear turn signals work without the lights on, the right one doesnt work with the lights on.

I think it may be something with the front signals though, as i replace the front and rear bulbs and the left front stays on when you hit the left turn signal, the right one doesnt light at all.

The right indicator on the dash is lit all the time when the lights are turned on.

I love electrical problems.

this may sound funny but sometimes with the 1157 (2 filament bulbs) if one filament brakes and falls and touches the other filament when you hit the brake is will send power thru the bad filament back thru the wires and light the parking lights funny but true

well it stopped doing it... and it hasn't done it in a couple of days... so theres a gremlin in there some where laughin at me...

Not sure if it's better to bump, or start a new thread.

How exactly do you replace the turn signal switch on a 69 valiant? And any good recommendations on where to find one? Would this work? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Signal-Switch-Plymouth-Barracuda/dp/B007NZSY8K"]Amazon.com: Turn Signal Switch for 1967 1968 1969 Plymouth Barracuda - Valiant & Dodge Dart: Everything Else[/ame]

Not sure if it's better to bump, or start a new thread.

How exactly do you replace the turn signal switch on a 69 valiant?

better to post a new thread...

but you have to remove steering wheel...

then drop the column so you can remove the harness in the column...

then install the new one.. easy once you see it...

-
Back