Stray Connector help

-

YoungDart75

Reaction score
I've dug through here and my chassis manual looking for where this connector plugs into with no luck. I've found plenty of pictures of the solenoid and the wire/connector but nothing with hat it connects to. Seems to be the throttle position solenoid on the back side of the Carb. Any help would be appreciated.

Comes right off this solenoid right here.

Yes, that the Throttle Position Solenoid. Looking through my 1975 Service Manual provided plenty of info about it.

The condensed version that it is part of the catalytic converter protection effort. It's job is to hold the idle at 1500 rpm under certain circumstances to keep the converter from overheating, presumably from excess fuel.

To answer your question of what it connects to, the answer is a small metal box called the Electronic Speed Switch. Luckily I had a '75 and that box should be found on the passenger side inner fender somewhere. I think there are two metal boxes there in fact.

One will have two wires...that is the voltage regulator. The other is the speed switch and will have three wires, assuming it's still there.

Of the three wires at the speed switch, one goes to one side of the ballast resistor, one goes to the other side of the resistor and the third is your mystery wire you can't find yet going to the Throttle Solenoid.

Depending on whether you have everything still there, you can re-connect it as original, leave it as-is or remove everything, especially if you have no converter anymore.

I found the section describing what it did. I must have missed where it said whay it connects to. Thanks for all the info and help. Ill keep reading through and see if i can find where you were talking about.

Bottom center of your pic there are 4 wires. where does the one underneath go? I have a similar connector that is 'extra'. I don't have a solenoid on mine, but seeing yours, maybe it once did. I do have a three wire connector that I believe may have been for the speed switch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 191
Found this one today doing a tune up on the dart. Comes out of the wiring harness going by the valve cover heading back towards the firewall. Hangs off just past the distributor. I looked around and couldn't find anything that was missing a connector.

Ok, I dug around in my parts stash and found the engine harness off that old '75 that I saved before it was parted out.

There are 3 boxes on the passenger inner fender- voltage regulator at the front, then likely the speed switch and then another unknown box on the firewall.

The harness that serves all three starts at the firewall box with a 3-wire connector. It then runs forward to the speed switch box with another 3-wire connector. Then goes by the voltage regulator, over to the alternator and back along the engine to the large black connector that is near the firewall, over the valve cover

On my V8 harness I found the plug you are looking for sticking out of the harness about 3 inches behind the large connector. It was a black wire. In your picture above, follow that large harness around from beside the valve cover to along the firewall. I bet you find that single connector there somewhere.

You haven't said whether any of this stuff I mention is even there. If it isn't there's no point in worrying about the wire from the throttle solenoid.

The connector off the throttle solenoid I found where it went and I got it hooked back up now. The last two pictures I posted I found after I reconnected the throttle solenoid connector. When I was doing the plugs/wires/cap/rotors/oil change yesterday I found the last connector just hanging back by the oil filter housing. Its got enough length to get to the firewall and seems like it would go to something there. I just haven't found what too yet.

Your oil pressure sender is by the filter. Is that hooked up? Looks like that may be it.

-
Back