Street Dominator intake any good? 318

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Picked one of these up over the weekend. Its a single plane, and it looked to have 318 ports so I did it on impulse. I guess they don't make them anymore.

The ports look a little smaller even than the ones on my LD4B, and it sits pretty low on the motor. There'd be no problems clearing a stock hood, even with a spacer or a nitrous plate.

Anyone ever used one of these?

Steve

I had one that came with my 360 when I bought it. I never did use it...ended up selling it...but just for discussion sake, this is what they look like:
100_0674.jpg

Yeah, that's what mine looks like.

I'm thinking maybe the goal of the small ports is to keep velocity up to help offset the low end disadvantages of a single plane intake? I can't imagine you'd want to give away too much torque with a 318.

I used one on a built 400M Ford with closed chamber Austrailan Cleveland heads way back in the day and was pretty happy with it. A little short on low end torque but it just sang at 6K. :)

Good picture there GoldDuster318, thanks for looking out and posting it up.

Holley did some homework back in the day with these intakes. There not bad when they were new. I run one on my 400. Even though it's a big block the short stroke of this B engine family should be treated like a small block.

While it didn't really loose alot of bottom end, it is nicer up top by compare to the OE 4bbl intake.

I like these intakes for a "On the Cheap" build. They accept T-Q's easy and are decently made and performing intakes. Your right about the small runner useage, not wanting to give up torque but still retaining a high velocity enabling some decent top end RMP power.

Cam the "teen" mildly with a split duration cam and you'll be OK with this intake.

yah, i bought one of these this for my 440 build.
From what i learned its an older intake,but since it was introduced it has always done very well. I read up on it quite a bit and even now they still have the intake comparison tests and it still shows up top 3 in every comparison.
Like rumblefish said , if its a budget build its a good intake. I couldnt have bought a better intake but i am doing a build with alot of older speed equiptment and parts and this intake was a good all around intake that you can pick up pretty cheap.
Overall i give the strip and the street dominator a thumbs up.

i picked up one for a good price off ebay. i have hood clearanceissues so thas one reason i picked it. havent had a chance to try it yet though..

-
Back