Street Gear Poll

Which street gear?

• Total voters
-
OK, Been driving around in my toyota tundra with the overdrive off to see what I think about 3.91 gears on the street/highway.

My trips are about 20 miles of 70 MPH driving. My truck rolls along at about 3200 RPM at 70MPH. IT has a VVTI V6 in it.

My plans for my a body are a mild 318 with a low first 904 and custom converter. Whatever engine goes in is gonna have a hyd roller. Exhaust will be quite, but dont let that effect the poll. However keep in mind that priority will go to the gear, and the exhaust can be quieted down if necessary. There is plenty of ways to get rid of the interior drone if you do enough research.

And also please remember this is not a cross country car. The idea is to leave the country haul butt and have fun on the way, burn a ton of gas, upset all the hybrids, rice burners and chevys and go back to the house in the country.

EDIT: Lets assume a 28 inch tall 275/60R15,
ALSO, i intended for this to be a very general poll. Not something to decided on what exactly gear I should use on this car. Personal experience is the main factor. IF you had a car with 4.10 gears and wanted more then by all means post.

I drive my 9-second n/a BB quite often even on the fwy w/4.10`s and although at 3200+ w/a 29.5x15 slick, I love it and so do others................:burnout:

D70-14 on 340 cars,or E70-14 on 383s. The Es and Ds went on 5.5"rims.The rest got 6.95s, on 4.5s.
I have no conversion chart
Es are pretty skinny. I seem to remember Gs being 8.25, so an F might be 7.75, and an E, around 7.35. The 70 is a section ratio. So if an E70-14 was 7.35, then the section of 70% makes the sidewalls 5.145, for a final tire height of 24.3". That's my best guess.

the only d70-14 I have found were 25.7, does that sound right?
I can't say one way or another, BUT if I had to give an opinion, I think that would be too tall.Ima thinking a D is about a 6.95 or 7.00. So let's say it's 7 inches. The 70 series means that the sidewall will be about 70% of the tread.Then you double that,(for top and bottom) and add the rim size of 14.
So here's the math; (7.00x .70x 2)+14 =23.8
S'a best I can guess

But here is a comparison for tires around 23.8 inchs tall; a 165/75-14 calculates to 23.75, a 195/65-14 might be 23.98, a 225/55-14 might be 23.74.Of these, the 195 is probably the closest in section width to the D. Ima guessing.

The problem is that the old system of lettered tires was based on the profile number being a percentage of the tread width(to my recollection); whereas with the Pmetric tires, the profile number is a percentage of the section width.The lettered tires had much more tread width for the section width, than do the radials. Said another way;tread for tread,and rim for rim, the radials have quite a bit more section width.
I remember my first pair of G60-14s. Onto my 1970 Swinger340. Back in about 71/72.Man did those tires look wide. The G was 8.25 inches of tread. It probably had an inch or a inch a quarter more of section width, so that would put it around 9.5 to 9.7 section width making it about a 240. Well todays radial tire of that size might have around a half inch less tread, so 7.75 inches. This is all from a 40 year old memory, so I can't testify as to the accuracy of my 63 year old brain. This one thing I know, grade twelve girls are as beautiful today, as I remember them being in 1972!

I am an obvious outlier but I changed out my 3.91 to 3.23 and really liked how it changed the car. Thing still runs low 13s at 105mph in the quarter mile on crappy tires... granted I never hit 4th gear while racing so im shifting less. I run a lot of highway too so that was also a motivating factor

I liked the 2.94s in my Duster because I could cruise at 75-80 mph only turning 2800-3000 RPM or so; road trips were a lot of fun in that car, I've driven it all over the state of CO. My next engine is going to have a hotter cam and less compression though so I'm getting ready to swap in 3.55s; with how wide of a powerband I expect (6500 RPM redline?) and not the greatest low-end torque I have a feeling those 2.94s just won't let it spin up quickly enough to get the car moving at slow speeds. Would be great for top speed trials though lol.

I had 3.91 in my charger big block 727, looking back it was too much gear with 295 50 15 at 70 mph
Matter of fact the 3.92 gears in my Dakota r/t are too much gear at 70 mph in overdrive.
I have 3.73 in my 2500 Cummins 4 wd & that's to much gear for 70 mph & stock size 31 in tall tires, my tach doesn't work anymore but it gets much better mpg at 65 mph.
Best gear truck I have is 3.55 in a 1500 2wd it cruises and gets out of its own way.
My dart won't count as it won't see the street atleast for now.
Dammit this is an old *** thread

This is really a fun topic! When I bought my first Duster it had a 5:13. You didn't figure MPG, you figured GPH (gallons per hour). Switched them to 2:94. WOW! Now I did not shift from 2nd to 3rd untill 110 mph I did have it up to 130 mph on it's speedo once. It had no bottom end. Next 3:23, much easier to drive. It's cruising speed did affect mileage somewhat. Not that I was looking for it. Next was 3:91. Bad mileage, higher rpm to cruise. Think it was around around 2500 to 3000 rpm for 55 mph. I like the 3:91 the best. It gave great performance on the street and was still able to cruise but at a slower speed. I drove this to the track on a state interstate 40-50 mile to a drag strip and back to race when I did. Just for fun it had duel 600cfm AFB's on it. Ended up 4:56 and spooled for full on bracket racing With 28.5 tall slicks trap rpm was around 6800 to 6900 @ 120 mph., 11:30 et.

-
Back